Newbie help needed

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barbie bee

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
As a new bee keeper with 2 hives I have a query. I went to check my hives today and they had been knocked over. The fence was intact so I know that livestock haven’t got through. I thought they were stable as they are on palettes! Any ideas what could have happened? We have had no high winds either. I know this is probably a ‘doh’ moment to most of you but I don’t want it to happen again!

Could well be kids if your sure it’s not livestock or wind that’s the best bet. Invest in some ratchet straps at the very least and attach hive and pallets together. Also start looking for another location to have up your sleeve.

As a new bee keeper with 2 hives I have a query. I went to check my hives today and they had been knocked over. The fence was intact so I know that livestock haven’t got through. I thought they were stable as they are on palettes! Any ideas what could have happened? We have had no high winds either. I know this is probably a ‘doh’ moment to most of you but I don’t want it to happen again!

Sadly it may be vandalism. Someone may not like where the hives are sited, Barbie turned Ken down, man's best friend or anything else to do with the human race. Hope it does not happen again and that the hives are ok after you have put them back together again. Best of luck.

Badgers can dig under fences or push them up to gain access...... Any chance?

E

Yes. Sadly, vandalism seems the most likely cause, and it was half term last week.

I hope you were able to right everything with out too much trouble!
We had a hive kicked over a few years back.
As it was in school, it was caught on CCTV with the individual pegging it frantically waving bees off as he went! :D
The bees were mostly fine, mostly....
As a word of warning, ours did turn rather nasty for a while after, until the following generations of bees took over and calmed down. :)

They were strapped hives. They are situated about a mile away from any humans! They had all fallen/were pushed in the same direction

Badgers might not eat honey if the bees saw them off after they tipped the hives.
Only a guess!
E

Why would a badger not nock one hive over insted of all the hives and all in the same direction that seams like they have been pushed over by somone.

Deer? If both were knocked over though it could be pushing that theory a bit.......

Why would a badger not nock one hive over insted of all the hives and all in the same direction that seams like they have been pushed over by somone.

No idea! Just guessing at what it might be. We will probably never know!
E

Bad ass badgers

Badgers are curious playful bulldozers and especially when hungry!:)

Latest posts

Back