Newbee shopping list

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big ears

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
So trying to draw up a shopping list of must have basic kit for next spring so I can collect over the winter sales if possible. List so far is:

Hive - probably National with two supers
Crown board
Queen excluder
Bee suit
Nitrile gloves
Smoker
Hive tool
Feeder

Have I missed anything out for a starter kit?

BE

A complete hive should come with a crown board.
Also think about poly over wood as then you tick the thermal side of things.

Also think about poly over wood as then you tick the thermal side of things.
Haven’t made my mind up yet on wood vs poly. Leaning towards wood on less plastic grounds but still doing research.

So trying to draw up a shopping list of must have basic kit for next spring so I can collect over the winter sales if possible. List so far is:

Crown board
Queen excluder
Bee suit
Nitrile gloves
Smoker
Hive tool
Feeder

BE
Washing soda, either Wellington boots or work boots,
Nuc box incase you need to split or remove a queen.
Tool bag and spare vail for your bee suite.

Worth saying that a poly nuc box is always handy to have on hand. I consider it a tool like any other. It'll mean you're ready to do an artificial swarm straight away when you need to, or for a myriad of other things you might find yourself needing to do in the first year.

Personally, if I had the option I'd buy a polycarbonate 'see-through' crown board, and I'd also think about 3 supers rather than two. You never have enough supers!

Hi looks like my list, My poly hive doesn't need a crown board and comes with a queen excluder. Currently I have managed to get a decent Bee Jacket and a smoker also a hive tool. The only thing I can see missing are Frames and Foundation unless you get it with the hive as a kit. I'm waiting for the sales and hoping to pick mine up separate for the brood box and supers. I also went for 1 brood and 2 supers but will add more supers later.

A quick newbie question to add on to this thread re Nuc's if I order my bees for next year do some supply them in a poly Nuc? if so that would provide me with one to use so wouldn't need to buy one separately.

Hi looks like my list, My poly hive doesn't need a crown board and comes with a queen excluder. Currently I have managed to get a decent Bee Jacket and a smoker also a hive tool. The only thing I can see missing are Frames and Foundation unless you get it with the hive as a kit. I'm waiting for the sales and hoping to pick mine up separate for the brood box and supers. I also went for 1 brood and 2 supers but will add more supers later.

A quick newbie question to add on to this thread re Nuc's if I order my bees for next year do some supply them in a poly Nuc? if so that would provide me with one to use so wouldn't need to buy one separately.

You'll often get a cheap, lightweight, corrugated plastic nuc-box with your bees, which wouldn't normally be returnable. These things aren't intended for longer term use with bees, but once you have one it's a handy for emergencies such as anticipated swarming.

Crown board
Queen excluder
Bee suit
Nitrile gloves
Smoker
Hive tool
Feeder

BE

The old adage that you can never have enough bee equipment is so true. Your list should get you started well, but if the bee-bug hits you as hard as is usually does you could easily double each item in that list bar the smoker, (a really good one). There are many additional bits of kit that you will quickly understand the usefulness of. Two suits would be handy so that your beekeping can be inclusive with other people in your life.

As Beebe says, when you get your bees they might come in a correx nuc box. Some of the suppliers include a poly nuc with your bees (mine came with one from Paynes), but of course the cost will be built into the price paid for the nuc of bees. If you're getting bees from a smaller supplier or a local beekeeper then you'll probably either get them in a correx nuc or you might have to pay a deposit that you'll get back once you've transferred the bees into your hive and can return the nuc box to them.
Really depends where you get them from.

Worth saying that a poly nuc box is always handy to have on hand.

If I had the option I'd buy a polycarbonate 'see-through' crown board,
I would second the above but dont forget the extra frames.

I would also recommend some sort of hive record book so you can record what you see and the action if any you take. (do as I say not as I do... Im afraid)
I have no records of what when or why so I hope santa will come up with something so I can keep proper records next year a

My starter kit is as follows;

Two poly national hives.
Additional brood box for each and extra supers.
Frames and foundation.
Bee suit.
Hive tool(s).
Hive stand.
Smoker. (Maybe smoker box too)
Two poly nucs.
Queen excluders.
Dummy boards.
Feeders.
Various books.

Overwintered nucs pre ordered.

I'm sure I have forgotten something vital. I've got some kit already and waiting for certain sales for the rest.

Not even thinking about honey extraction products yet.

Bee brush or some people use goose feathers. Queen clip might be handy also if you need to do a split.

Two complete hives not one. It's best to have two colonies so if one has issues you will spot the difference and be alerted even if you don't know what you're looking at. Also means you should have the ability to provide eggs/larvae/bees from one to the other if needed.

Depending on your skill, tools and time, you can make a lot of parts cheaper than buying them.

Insulation

Olbas oil

Planning for method of varroa control.

Planning for the season genrrally is also essential - what method of swarm control/prevention will you use, what forage is likely to be around, will you have a third super as a backup if it's a good season, single brood or double brood or something else. What happens to the bees if you can't check/feed/treat them or go off keeping them Planning not plan. Plans usually fail.

So do I need two hives initially or will one and a nuc do?
I would buy a spare hive, simple reason if you go double brood then you will need the second brood box.

Latest posts

Back