Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for your help everyone. Sorry for the late reply. I haven't had access to the interwebz for a few days.

The pub will be open in Feb heebeegeebee so hope your not too thirsty. I'm hoping to buy a hive in a month or so. Not sure when the best time to buy a nuc is or should I buy a hive with a colony? I have been contemplating buying second hand hives but not sure about the risk of disease. I've been reading about the different types of hives. Is there a more commonly preffered hive or is it just personal preferance? Could do with browseing equipment etc if you could reccommend a good website.

Cheers

I'm snowed under (not literlally) at the moment. January would be good I rekon for a pint.
Tony has commercials so the frame size is different to mine AND he uses a top bee space. I use the standard BS frame size. I have WBC's and Nationals and I also have a 16 frame national which I built (for fun) as I wonder that Nationals are a bait small. WBC's even smaller! It will be intersting to see how the 16 frame hive works out.

And YES we do have pubs here in Norfolk that are open all year. Of course we're all in-bred and have three toes and stuff like that in these. But I guess you knew that anyway!

Adam

Hebeegeebee,

It will be intersting to see how the 16 frame hive works out.

Add an eke, fit 14 x 12s and it will be almost the same as a Dartington without the swarm control space! Over-winter towards the back of the hive (away from the entrance) and with dividers fitted (allowing entry/exit), if on an OMF, and simply add frames behind and towards the entrance in springtime.

What do you intend supering it with? Keep us up to date with your findings. An interesting project.

Regards, RAB

Latest posts

Back