Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are you a cat lover? Just that the heading made me wonder....tee hee, welcome

Hello

I see you already have bees (I don't have any yet)

I assume this has been your first year.

Have you done anything this year which you wouldn't do again, if you were starting over all over again.

I know everybody makes mistakes, so maybe I can learn the odd one or two, before I start. I'll probably make enough mistakes myself, so may as well try and elliminate those made by others.

Did you get any honey this year ?

hi willie bee no not had honey yet only started a few weeks ago so hope things go well for me next year and good luck to you when you get started

yes just got one hive but bought 2 more for next year ,had a bit of bad news today had a member of the bbs to have a look at them to see if every thing is ok,when i bought them i was told there was a queen bee in marked white and he could not find it but found a queen and he seems to think it is a virgin one as he cant see any signs of them breeding so he said i might loose them so could do with a mated queen but too late in season for that now so looks like starting afresh next near i am gutted but just one of those thing so better luck next year

Hi Denise

You say he thinks its a virgin, and he can't see any signs of breeding? What about you? What stage were they in last time you inspected? Did you inspect before buying?

hi easy bee no i did not have a look just new to this but he told me there was a queen bee in marked white. when the man came from bbs to have a look he could not see any signs of breeding but found a unmarked queen am learning the hard way but next time i buy some i will take someone who knows about them with me

Hi. Welcome. Yes if you know someone you can take with you then do. Before then see if you can spend some time chatting to someone knowledgeable who keeps bees. Also get hold of some good books. Try Ted Hooper, Bees and Honey. Good luck.

Hi Denise

You say he thinks its a virgin, and he can't see any signs of breeding? What about you?

:eek:That's a bit of a personal question to pose a a newbee! :biggrinjester:

Welcome to the forum Denise you'll get used to the daft posts eventually if you stick with the forum (which would be a wise thing as you do get a lot of good advice and moral support here)

hi dont think it was personal that q but i should have took someone with me instead of jumping in the deep end when you dont know nothing about bees only that thy sting lol but i will learn lan listen to advice in future
thanks a lot denise

Hi Denise and welcome.

Personally I would not want anyone opening my hives and looking for queens at this time of year, it's way too cold and there's nothing to be gained by looking now. Much better to wait until Spring.

Cazza:welcome:

itwas the bee insector who goes to the bbs someone put me on to him and he offered to come and see if everything was ok with not knowing anything about bees other than they sting ad 3 already but i will get my head stuck in and learn

Latest posts

Back