New hive/dead bees/beginner please advise

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Davidwd

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi All,

I have just purchased my first hive, it has last years queen. It is a national just a brood box at the moment and they have filled about 5 frames. I brought it home yesterday and put it into position carefully, opened a small part of the entrance about a dozen bees came out had a fly around and then returned back to the hive.

This evening I have noticed about 30 dead bees spread about 4 feet from the entrance. I haven't opened it up as I thought it best to let them settle in. Is this normal to have this amount of dead bees when moving a hive? I cannot see anything wrong with the dead bees.

It has only been about 8 degrees C here today and a few bees have been coming and going.

Any thoughts please?

Rgds

David

I assume you have the hive on a patio area or similar hard standing? And as a result you will perhaps notice every dead bee outside the entrance.

If this is the case you will soon get use to the sight of a scattering of dead bees.

Good look

A bees life span is quite short and a hive building up to full strength will replace more bees than die, so sit back and enjoy the wonderful world of beekeeping

Phew!!! Thank you I will stop panicking now.

David

Just panic when they start bringing the deckchairs out. Enjoy, I am.

Latest posts

Back