New Hive-broken Broodframe

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Honeybadger

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Beehaus
Number of Hives
I have a jumbo brood frame where one of the top bars that rest on the side of the hive have broken during an inspection. The frame is new but very full of brood. It is not possible to repair. I have a beehaus and was wondering if I could save the brood by placing the frame in the unused part of the beehaus with the divider and the queen excluder to hatch the brood and then remove the frame in a few weeks when there is no more brood present. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

HB

Depending how the top bar has broken, could a cable tie bind it together temporarily ? At least until you can swap it away from the broodnest

...It is not possible to repair....
Not as new maybe. Quick repairs include a wood screw into the end grain of the top bar. Or strapping what's left of the top bar to a convenient splint you find in the shed, a threaded bar perhaps - cable ties or garden wire is the sort of stuff to carry in your apiary bag.

Last edited:
The lugs can be a problem with 14 x 12 frames. It is no more than a nuisance until removal.

Move the frame to the edge of the brood nest but no further and eventually remove. Do not separate it from the brood nest or they may build supercedure cells. It coud be moved an extra frame away if it only has capped brood and/or older larvae (older than day 6 to be sure, but a little less in practice.

I give all my top bars a 'Hammer test' before makig them up into a frame. Any cross-grain or knots makes for likey future failure.

Thanks for the advice. Two wood screws are now doing the trick so I will move the frame when I next inspect.

Great to be able to get advise this way....

HB

Thanks for the advice. Two wood screws are now doing the trick so I will move the frame when I next inspect.

HB

bet you dont.....

its suprising how long a temporary repair can last....:yeahthat:

The temporary fix to one of the jeep stop and tail lights (bulb blew day before MOT and couldn't source the right part locally) has now been in place for quite a while - the only way to make the bulb stay in place was to wedge it in with a piece of card from a cigarette paper packet. I gave up smoking seven years ago last April!

Latest posts

Back