New hive and swarm capture

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The hive is at home in the garden because I have a smallholding with a lot of space and I am trying to use that initially for one hive. The local wild bees seem to thrive here. I guess I could put a temporary roof on using the crown board whilst cleaning off the comb and then replacing it once I have cleaned it up. I do not seem to have the knack of shaking them down yet and when I open the roof all the bees seem to want to congregate on the underside of the roof. Its quite daunting picking it up with a large mass of bees on it. A bit worried the Queen if present might abscond.

Take that offer of help, Dale. I'm sure that Dani and Stan will put your mind at rest.
Bees start at the top and work their way down when it comes to combs, unless you cut the combs away from the roof they will not want to move.

Thanks. I will certainly take them up on the offer. great to find someone local who can give me guidance.

Latest posts

Back