New Apiary in Bali

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dared

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
now 6!
Well after a year without bees its nice to get back into it as really missed them. And setting up again in a new country where beekeeping is very limited will make it interesting.
Just received 15 hives from Java as nearly impossible to locate Melifera locally but this is a start and once settled will also be trying some Cerana. Definitly need to spend some time cleaning up the hives as wax is old and everything is hand made so sizes do vary a little! Also need to decide to stick with Langstroths (ish) or go to what I am familier with i.e. Nationals. Does not really matter to much as will need to be made locally anyway and traditionally the bee hive is a log in a tree so anything goes!

20160915_073204.jpg
20160915_075827.jpg
20160915_080008.jpg
20160915_080259.jpg
20160915_082636.jpg

Sounds like exciting fun.
The plants in the pictures look exotic and tropical. What are they?

Hi,

There is a mix of Coconut, Banana, Mango, Papaya and others that I do not know yet. Quite a steep learning curve at the minute as no fixed seasons like the UK so not sure when flowering season is for a lot of the plants.

Will get there eventually.

Does that mean you have to watch for swarming all year round?

Hi,

There is a mix of Coconut, Banana, Mango, Papaya and others that I do not know yet. Quite a steep learning curve at the minute as no fixed seasons like the UK so not sure when flowering season is for a lot of the plants.

Will get there eventually.

I was the same here in Portugal, I found the bees dont rush to get out like they do in the UK spring/summer, in fact even now I think "That hive is weak", in reality full of bees but so little activity. We get a random flow with Eucalyptus in Dec/Jan/Feb which was a nice surprise. Good pics and the best of luck!

Does that mean you have to watch for swarming all year round?

No swarming normally follows the rainy season so just once a year, saying that the way the weather is messing around at the moment will wait and see!

Fantastic bees, no need for vail or anything just sit quietly on the frame, how it should be.

Has to smile as when they were delivered I asked about using a smoker and he just pulled out his cigarette and blew the smoke on the bees :) Really dont want to take up smoking though so will stick with what I know.

Are you still in Bali? Trying to get a hive but getting nowhere

This is a really old post but it would be good to get an update!
E

My bee buddy got married in Bali this summer, and brought some honey back. Unfortunately it was fermenting. I'll tell him that there's now a reputable supplier over there, and to seek you out next time he goes over.

Latest posts

Back