Neighbours bonfire

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Also be aware that one reason for the colony looking less populous through the crownboard is, they are out foraging. Even around here with an average temperature of 11°C I have a heavy stream of bees flying to and from the hive, and if they are piling in pollen, they will probably be nowhere near the top of the frames.
Hi JBM, they were doing just that before but today as I was cutting the grass I saw one solitary bee entering the hive - not a good prognosis and too disheartened to have a look ☹️☹️ Will bite the bullet tomorrow but I think I know what to expect - but will not open up!

When I lived in the Lake District in a small extended hamlet of maybe 10 houses I kept a cockerel with the hens. Before I got him I canvassed the neighbours most of whom were some distance away. No body had an objection. A month after he found his voice I had a visit from Environmental Health to say somebody had complained. Beats me, country life and all that? Rather than put him in a pot I used to gather him up from his ladies at night and pop him in his night time quarters in the undercroft to be released to crow his heart out in the daytime. He lived happily like that for ten years and I never did find out who dobbed me in.
reminds me, with fondness, of my old mate from the allotment, who is long gone now. He kept about 30 chickens on the plot with a couple of cockerels. Cockerels were not allowed by the council. Occasionally the town clerk would come down to inspect the site. My mate would climb into the chicken shed with the cockerel and try to keep him quiet. As the clerk was passing my mates plot, the cockerel crowed. The clerk just smiled and kept walking. My mate was never told to get rid of the cockerels.

reminds me, with fondness, of my old mate from the allotment, who is long gone now. He kept about 30 chickens on the plot with a couple of cockerels. Cockerels were not allowed by the council. Occasionally the town clerk would come down to inspect the site. My mate would climb into the chicken shed with the cockerel and try to keep him quiet. As the clerk was passing my mates plot, the cockerel crowed. The clerk just smiled and kept walking. My mate was never told to get rid of the cockerels.
Sensible.
I am a townie and I escaped to the countryside when I remarried.
Some folk "escape" to the countryside and bring the town with them

Sensible.
I am a townie and I escaped to the countryside when I remarried.
Some folk "escape" to the countryside and bring the town with them

Yes, when I moved into a Cheshire village in 1974 there were two dairy farms right in the centre. Twice a day the cows were brought in along the roads from the fields for milking then returned to their pastures. Unsurprisingly this left a trail of fresh sloppy manure on the roads. Ten years later a small development of eight houses was built on the stack yard of one farm. There were howls of complaint from the incomers.
It got very unpleasant and eventually both farms stopped milking centrally.

Latest posts

Back