Need to borrow a pair of brood boxes in Cornwall.......

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Portreath_Bees

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
I'm wondering whether anybody would be kind enough to lend me two standard national brood boxes so I can transfer 2 NUC's to my 14x12 brood, would only require them for however long it will take for them to move up. Obviously not until April sometime. I'm thinking that this is only going to be feasible to somebody that lives in Cornwall too, I'm down in Portreath but am open to suggestions..

Thanks in advance

Would putting 2x nucs together and putting your box on top work? So that would be 1 full nuc and 1 empty?

Although you say "14x12 brood" (singular) - I'm assuming you have two 14x12 brood boxes, and because you're asking for a loan of standard brood boxes, that suggests your Nucs are on Standard Brood (DNx) frames ?

If so - then why not simply transfer the DNx Nuc frames directly into the 14x12 boxes, and pad those boxes out with 14x12 frames ? If necessary (if we're talking April), make-up a dummy 14x12 frame for each box to use as a 'thermal curtain' to reduce the amount of box space available to the bees - or reduce the size of the box in some other way.
Then, as the season progresses, simply move the DNx frames gradually towards the outside until they're cleared, and then remove them one or two at a time, replacing them with 14x12 frames as you do so. Of course, the bees will draw 'wild' comb beneath the DNx frames, which is a slight nuisance, but it's easy enough to slice-off when you come to remove those frames.
It's by far the easiest way - if a little protracted.
LJ

:iagree:
Although you say "14x12 brood" (singular) - I'm assuming you have two 14x12 brood boxes, and because you're asking for a loan of standard brood boxes, that suggests your Nucs are on Standard Brood (DNx) frames ?

If so - then why not simply transfer the DNx Nuc frames directly into the 14x12 boxes, and pad those boxes out with 14x12 frames ? If necessary (if we're talking April), make-up a dummy 14x12 frame for each box to use as a 'thermal curtain' to reduce the amount of box space available to the bees - or reduce the size of the box in some other way.
Then, as the season progresses, simply move the DNx frames gradually towards the outside until they're cleared, and then remove them one or two at a time, replacing them with 14x12 frames as you do so. Of course, the bees will draw 'wild' comb beneath the DNx frames, which is a slight nuisance, but it's easy enough to slice-off when you come to remove those frames.
It's by far the easiest way - if a little protracted.
LJ
:iagree:
That would be my choice too, if you need help closer to the time let me know?
S

Cut a bit of ply to the size of box you are transfering to.

Cut out a hole in it and have a bit of excluder ready.

Fill you new box with what ever you have be it combs or foundation and a feeder. Obviously with crown board and roof on.

Make sure your nuc box is level and steady and put the new box on top with the queen in it.

After three weeks they will be finished with the nuc and ready for the nuc to go and the floor to be added to the set up.

Nice and simple and works beautifully.

KISS

PH

Why not simply move the frames... bees and all to the new hive?
Or are you merging a nuc with a queenless one?
I am probably missing something here?

Mytten da

Going my route the problem of the queen laying up the frames you don't want laid up is avoided.

PH

Thanks for the answers, it is indeed 2 x NUC's going in to new 14x12 boxes, nobody has any NUC's on 14x12 frames so getting normal frames and will dummy board the 14x12 so its not too big at first. Ill let you know how it goes and thankyou for the advice and ideas :)

Latest posts

Back