• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Beekeeping Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

National drawn frames Wanted!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DarkAnt

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hello,

Looking for some good NB drawn frames. I'm just start this year so don't have my own yet and my late nucs don't build foundation so if anybody have some spare pm with price .Can pick up from Yorkshire,Durham.:sos:

Serious risk of bringing in disease if you buy drawn comb. Better to use the money to feed the nucs heavily and get them to draw foundation. I have a vested interest as I am in your neck of the woods.

Don't even think of buying *drawn* frames.

Insulate.
If the bees are in a full hive, use a dummy board to bookend the frames they are using plus (at most) two of foundation. Those frames to be tight to one side/end of the hive.
The ideal place for the undrawn frames (one at each side of the brood nest) is between the last frame with brood and any that are stores-only (if the outside frame has brood, then outside it). Add another frame once one is drawn.
Fill the void space beyond the dummy with, for example, a binbag of polystyrene chippings.
Close any hole in the cover/crown board not being used by your feeder. The feeder would normally be surrounded by a shallow (super) box.
Use a feeder that you can refill without removing. Keep it topped up.
And insulate around it - and if possible over it as well.

Feed 50/50 syrup for now. 50/50 by weight, white sugar and water.
Ideal fuel for comb-drawing, which is your current priority.

Reduce the entrance to about three fingers-worth - principally to prevent robbing by wasps.

Later you can change to stronger 60/40 syrup (for storing), but after October they are unlikely to take any syrup, so additional support would then be in the form of fondant (which Americans call 'candy').

Have you asked one of your pals from your Association to come round and take a look at your bees?

Last edited:
Frames i bought with nucs are very old and dark,
so my idea was to replace them before winter.
I know what to do now.
Thanks for a help good people.
:thanks::thanks::thanks:

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . my idea was to replace them before winter.. . . . . . . .

I'd do any frame replacements at the end of the winter. Maybe think of doubling the brood box? They'll be keen to draw the foundation then.

Have you asked one of your pals from your Association to come round and take a look at your bees?

Realized that just before you reply.
I'm looking for help online when I have answers just around the corner.
:hairpull:

Latest posts

Back