Nail Gun for Frames

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is what I use.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Makita-DPT...50524&s=diy&sprefix=makita+nai,diy,134&sr=1-4

Not cheap but consistent and fast

Doesnt fire brads but pins.

Had to take some apart to replace foundation and they hold incredibly tight.

If youve got the batteries already, you can pick up the bodies pretty cheap.

Mines fired 50'000 so far this winter and hasnt skipped a beat!

The Makita, looks real good, but too expensive for the quantity of frames I need to do.
I bought the Screwfix Titan nailer, it works well for my needs, I agree with the poster who said it takes a bit of getting used to lining the nail up, the head is quite large.
Do you need to get the nail through the wire loops at the upper end of the frames, the gun can’t get in for that, I thought maybe not, as the wax holds by the clamping of the wires, and once the wax is drawn it isn’t going anywhere. I usually nail through the loop and could do this by hand.

Ok so my tacwise gun is playing up so went down last night to screwfix and brought the titan, i knocked up 50 frames today. I took it back tonight and placed order for another tacwise at double the price of the titan although still cheap imo....... Nose on the titan is to large in comparison and wastes time as you ensure/guess you are lined up correctly, target area is totally blocked. Tacwise appears to punch the nails in a little better as well and has a far smaller head the nails are fired from. I love the Makita battery tools and have a good number although not the small nailer, i would be a bit reluctant to use it on the frames though as would think you would exceed the recommened numbers fired if knocking up a few. Whilst several have said the guns last i have a box of 4 broken guns and another that miss fires in the garage!!!!theres also a couple that have been returned. But it does not matter how many break i would still not be without 1

Last edited:
Do you need to get the nail through the wire loops at the upper end of the frames, the gun can’t get in for that, I thought maybe not, as the wax holds by the clamping of the wires, and once the wax is drawn it isn’t going anywhere. I usually nail through the loop and could do this by hand.

Using 20mm brads solves this problem

Ok so my tacwise gun is playing up so went down last night to screwfix and brought the titan, i knocked up 50 frames today. I took it back tonight and placed order for another tacwise at double the price of the titan although still cheap imo....... Nose on the titan is to large in comparison and wastes time as you ensure/guess you are lined up correctly, target area is totally blocked. Tacwise appears to punch the nails in a little better as well and has a far smaller head the nails are fired from. I love the Makita battery tools and have a good number although not the small nailer, i would be a bit reluctant to use it on the frames though as would think you would exceed the recommened numbers fired if knocking up a few. Whilst several have said the guns last i have a box of 4 broken guns and another that miss fires in the garage!!!!theres also a couple that have been returned. But it does not matter how many break i would still not be without 1

:iagree:
As I said in an earlier post I have returned several of the Titans within the warranty, but I would never want to go back to hammer and nails!

Removing the rubber pad on the front of the titan makes it easier to be more accurate on brad placement and now I've used it for a while I'm punching brads in quickly where I want them to go

My makita nose snapped off and they had it replaced and back to me within 48 hours, no questions asked.

Its incredibly accurate but you do end firing more shots with the pins than you would with 18g brads.

I take it out in the field with me in the pick up and its such a great tool for fixing a broken frame with bees on it as you can operate 1 handed

:iagree:
As I said in an earlier post I have returned several of the Titans within the warranty, but I would never want to go back to hammer and nails!

Thanks to all the votes for the Titan .. mine failed after some light work in 2019 and a bit of occasional frame making in 2020 ... 11months old ..

Returning it tonight for a new one with two year warranty :)

Thanks to all the votes for the Titan .. mine failed after some light work in 2019 and a bit of occasional frame making in 2020 ... 11months old ..

Returning it tonight for a new one with two year warranty :)

My £15 Lidl one still works after approx 10k nails and 4 years use... (just saying)

Pneumatic ones work forever, even when they fail they are easily fixable.
Electric ones as long as motor won't overheat are fairly durable too.
Just don't do 10k nails in one go.
For most people cheapo one is sufficient, pro ones are made for high duty cycles.

Back