Nadired, what next

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Griffo

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Each of my 4 hives had a single super remaining, each of which was mostly uncapped and less than half full. These have been Nadired. Since this is the first time I have done this, I would like some idea of what to expect next.
Do they stay on all winter?
will the bees move the honey up?
will I get the supers back for use next spring?
Help much appreciated

Each of my 4 hives had a single super remaining, each of which was mostly uncapped and less than half full. These have been Nadired. Since this is the first time I have done this, I would like some idea of what to expect next.
Do they stay on all winter?
will the bees move the honey up?
will I get the supers back for use next spring?
Help much appreciated
The bees will move the honey up.
They can stay on all Winter, or can be removed in a week or so - up to you.
I leave mine on and remove them in early Spring. The super can then be used as a super.
The super if left on, will remain largely empty through the Winter, but I think is useful as a baffle to reduce draught.

Sounds like a good plan, thanks for that

IMGP20200410_05-small.jpg

Nadired supers at end of September a few years ago. They didn;t move the stores. The following April it looked like this, mouldy, so I melted the frames down. Maybe too late to nadir.
Can't remember how strong the colony was. It survived.

View attachment 33797

Nadired supers at end of September a few years ago. They didn;t move the stores. The following April it looked like this, mouldy, so I melted the frames down. Maybe too late to nadir.
Can't remember how strong the colony was. It survived.
I would have chucked it back on top - they would soon have sorted that lot out
Had a brood box from an extremely chalky queen this year (she is now one with the gatepost) which ended up in a Demarree - there was a lot (over 70%) of capped over chalkbrood mummies there so the plan was to take the lot off at the end of the year and burn it (shame, as it was all new drawn comb from last year), when I went to clear them down, the box was exceptionally heavy, not one bit of chalkbrood (capped or otherwise) remaining - they had stripped all the cells clean and backfilled with honey

If you nadir it is very dependant at what stage your bees are at. If the queen is still laying heavily and the brood box has loads of stores you may well end up with brood in the super. I leave them until early spring when stores will have dwindled in the brood box and early brood should be up there too but that doesn't always work out either in which case I then leave it until first inspection when I put it on top of a queen excluder and let worker brood emerge. Make sure queen is in brood box.

Latest posts

Back