my new toy

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wightbees

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
How long is a piece of string
I finished work today at 11am and whilst on my way home i decided that i wouldn't open up the Hives today.Even though the weather is lovely here i talked myself out of opening them up. Reasons where they got food and space am i doing them any good by interfering with there home at this time of yr. So i came to this decision as i was about to set off to see the hives, instead of turning left i went right on the hunt for a table saw :)
When i got to B&Q yep sold out of the one i wanted, it's always the way :(
Sooo of i went to another shop looking for my table saw, and what did i see.
It had buy me written all over it ,just sitting there in the corner .I looked had another look should i shouldn't i.Hmmm i will ask some Questions they might talk me out of it. Yep i will buy it..... a nice Draper band saw D)
I have been playing with it all afternoon, totally gutted the shed out to make room and in the process i found my lathe under all the rubbish,started it up ,still works great.
So tidy shed and a lovely shinny band saw :)

As this was a spare of the moment thing after doing a review search on google it turns out to be pretty good. Looking forward to tomorrow to have a bit more of a play :)

As this was a spare of the moment thing after doing a review search on google it turns out to be pretty good. Looking forward to tomorrow to have a bit more of a play :)

Obviously from peasant stock getting excited over a band saw :biggrinjester:

Sorry ,couldn't resist :blush5:.I was the same on receipt of my Titan from screw fix . Blade supplied was crap , bought a couple of better ones ,after all it's the blade that makes the saw :seeya:

John Wilkinson

Yes, the review did say get a better blade. But which blade ?

Yes, the review did say get a better blade. But which blade ?
I bought a couple of differing widths from a company , you'll have to wait until I have a look tomorrow for the name of the company:).
They were excellent value , the supplied blade was impossible to keep on the pulleys ! .

John Wilkinson

I too have a Titan, but would like a bit more adjustment on the tension mechanism. the block has a tendency to run out of adjustment, leaving the tilt adjustment screw precariously close to the limit of it's adjustment. If it slips, the top wheel nods and dumps the blade very unceremoniously.

I'm probably running a blade that is 1/2 inch over spec, but would actually like to mod it to give me better adjustment there. Otherwise a nice saw. I did have a budget for a bigger one, but decided that I might not be able to lift it to get it to the workshop. Shame.

ohhh nooo, i broke my blade today :banghead:
I didn't have a spare either :banghead: so a quick rush to B&Q as the clocks have change and i was behind with the times lol and yep they didn't have any :banghead:
So i have to wait for what i have ordered to arrive in the post, although they are a lot cheaper than the £15.00 ones where i got the saw from. Can't wait for them too arrive. :auto:

wightbees,

There are silver solder kits for repairing or making up new blades from bulk lengths of blade.

I have one somewhere, but have never used it - yet (probably couldn't find it when I needed it, anyway!). I would only repair if I broke a new expensive blade.

Regards, RAB

Thanks Rab
Don't supose you could let me know where you get them from please.
We pretty limited here on the IOW .

If you know anyone in engineering you may get them to weld the blade :)
Most industrial band saws have a welding / annealing facility as an integral part of the machine :)

John Wilkinson

Mine was sourced in Canada. Cheap and cheerful. Cost less over there than just the silver solder would have, in the UK.

Regards, RAB

Ok

I have had a google and come up with this > This solder is 4% silver, 95.5% tin and 0.5% copper

Maplins of which is just down the road.Is it the right stuff and will my flux that i use on copper piping joints do for this ?

thanks

I need to get some new bandsaw blades soon, last batch i bought was probably 5 years ago, they are all rusty LOL

There is a blade out there called a woodpecker, last time i looked!
It looked pretty good, and you could get them an inch wide, which is ideal for splitting wide lengths down!

Wish i had a resaw sometimes, those are beasts. I ended up getting a dewalt bandsaw!

Mines only a baby band saw and does not take a large blade, but i have a circular saw that can :)

Ok

I have had a google and come up with this > This solder is 4% silver, 95.5% tin and 0.5% copper

Maplins of which is just down the road.Is it the right stuff and will my flux that i use on copper piping joints do for this ?

thanks

You will need a borax based flux..... this is applied as a paste to the cleaned jointing area ( ie shiny metal, clean with wire wool or ? sulphuric .. battery acid , knocked back with zinc metal)
The flux melts to form a glassy appearance, then touch with the silver solder..

I believe we used to braze the blades as brazing rod is cheaper, but needs a higher temp to melt... ok on steels, but not on copper brass as these alloys melt at same temp as brazing rod... thats why silver solder was used as it melts at lower temp

now I am going around in circles!:confused:

Yes silver solder needs a special flux.. BORAX
investigate brazing that needs a hotter torch/ flame... but much much cheaper!!!

:svengo:

I have only got a blow torch from DIY shop. I will have to have a look and see what gas it uses. I think i might just wait until i have my new blades lol.

Latest posts

Back