My Hive + Nuc (Better Pictures)

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Insy

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
Only I know :D :D
Hello,

Today i checked on my hive and nucleus box, they have started laying alot more now and gathering alot more aswell as polishing more foundation. The pictures will describe it all, many pictures are of National brood chamber as the nuceus box my dad couldnt get close to due to bees are still very aggressive. (CHECK out the queen in nuc box shes VERY black)

National Brood Chamber

032-1.jpg

033-1.jpg

035.jpg

038.jpg

039.jpg

(Queen is in this picture)
040.jpg

(Queen is in this picture)
041.jpg

042.jpg

047.jpg

050-1.jpg

Nucleus Hive:

056.jpg

058.jpg

059.jpg

(Now am i right to say shes VERY black :p the queen that is)
060.jpg

What you think guys on there progress about a week-week and half ago there was no sign of laying of eggs or grubs.

Last edited:
BTW, from your pictures they don't seem very aggressive at all - don't kid yourself by thinking that they are going to be any better behaved - in fact, I would go as far as to say that you have been lucky and acquired some decently behaved bees (presuming they were a swarm of course...)

From my experience it is a total myth that most colonies are completely docile as told by the "fashionable", "modern", "urban" beekeepers that write in the press and in poor beekeeping books...

Ben P

Last edited:
Yes the main hive is VERY VERY friendly dont even have to use smoke half the time

The nuc box is the one i have to get in and get out as they get very aggresive. :D

I hope those frame spacings (shown in the nuc) are not the real ones! Look far too wide!

Pictures can be deceptive, but there were a few cappings I would be inspecting carefully on those frames.

RAB

I hope those frame spacings (shown in the nuc) are not the real ones! Look far too wide!

Pictures can be deceptive, but there were a few cappings I would be inspecting carefully on those frames.

RAB

I read your message and went back and had a closer look at the cappings and saw nothing to raise suspicions.
Are you scaremongering RAB ? ( one unfinished cap and a few dark cells looking like fresh wax with about to emerge bees included ) . Am I missing something ?

I agree about the frame spacing. Looks like you have wide plastic ends on instead of narrow ones. When they get going you will in all likelihood have a lot of brace comb.

The wide ends look concertinered and nothing looks shrunken to my eyes

Are you scaremongering RAB ?

No. As I said pics can be deceptive.

Fair enough . Its good advice to look closer at anything out of the ordinary anyway ( but as I said I cant see anything out of the ordinary in those piccies )

what would be your opinion about the capping on the cell that's pretty central, photo 8?
Not that I have any answers, just genuinely curious

recently emerged ?

Yes the spacers are wrong on nuc i ran out of spare small ones i will be ordering a 100 piece set soon or more so i can replace them, as for what oliver said could you please state which picture concerns you and which part and for why you are concerned so i know exactly what your full opinion is.

I am more than happy to take thoughts and opinions but if u say your concerned can you explain into a little more detail as to why it is you are concerned. Im a beginner :D im trying to read forums and books best i can and get real experience but i still will need a little bit of help :p until i can get going free willing.

Well about 5 days ago there wasnt as many empty cells in amongst the capped brood so i am assuming yes some have emerged but meh i could be wrong :D.

Sorry Insy - I wasn't trying to scare you! your bees look good - queen laying in a good pattern (photo 2), lots of nectar being brought in, plenty of emerging brood and a hard working queen. It was just that when I looked through I noticed a few cells with concave caps and, as RAB did as well (I assume) wondered what that meant :)

Ok sweet thanks if concave caps continue what could this be the beginning of so i can put rest of reading aside and give that section a good old reading so im ready just in case.

meh alarmist is good :D just wanted to know more information thats all :D

thanks

wax cappings become sunken and perforated with afb( I am not saying yours has though!!!) gen up on disease recognition it might help :)

heres a question for your beeguys/beeladies when the virgin queen guys out to mate (mating flights) when she succeeds and shes finally able to lay eggs. Will the eggs she lays have some of the gene's from the gene pool of the drone bees which mated with her?

Reason for this when i first picked these bees up they were very friendly didnt even use gloves and for some reason there temper has changed alot since then and i dont see why as these are now on sugar syrup from foundation building and the queen is now laying, or could it just be natural processes.

Latest posts

Back