my first visit on my own

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

irishguy

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
2 over wintered nucs
It was interesting to say the least lol. Got 2 overwintered nucs yesterday from a local beekeeper and everything went fine installing them into the hives. Few hours later my kids wanted to see the bees so I suited them up, brought tgem over and they where well happy looking at them doing their stuff. When my daughter was taking her beesuit off there was a bee on her suit. I took it off and placed it on the bbq and watched it for about half hour. I noticed it wouldn't fly away and think it must be injured or something or possibly sick.

Anyway today my kids wanted me to open the hive which I did. I know your best leaving them to be but TBH, I wanted to have a wee peak myself. I suited us all up, lit the smoker and proceeded to open up the hive. The bees seemed cam enough untill I started to lift the frames and all started to fly around us and the hive. started to get nervous and told the kids to walk away. I put the holeless crownboard and roof back on and walked away.

I gave it 5 mins and realised I might have squashed the queen when putting the crownboard and roof on so had to go back to check to see if she's ok. I lifted the roof off again and crownboard and sadly a few dead bees all around the crownboard meets broodbox. Next I go looking for the queen and found her on one of the frames thou when lifting some frames, I noticed that the bees had wax from different frames all stuck together. When I lifted one frame, it broke off the comb and some honey seeped out. Is this normal! I thought bees didn't do this because of the bee space though seeing as im a newbie, I could be wrong. I closed up this hive seeing as the queen was safe. When putting the crown board on, I killed another few bees. I was brushing them all off the top of broodbox but was fighting a losing battle.

I opened up the next hive, lifted 2 frames and when putting one down onto the runners, I dropped it by accident about half inch away from the runner and then all the bees came flying out quickly. That was enough for me for the day. I closed the hive up, squashing a few bees again in the process.

Was an interesting first time visting the hives on my own to say the least. Hopefully the next time I won't be as clumsy killing bees :(

How did the barbecued bee taste?

However tempting to keep looking it is best to leave them to settle and inspect once a week.

Best tip I can give you is to leave them alone for a week to get settled in without all the disturbance.

Best tip i can give is to buy two feeder holeless perspex cover boards that way when you feel the need to have a quick peek you cause minimal disturbance to them but can see them inside the hive without having to use smoke just take lid off carfully and have a look we have all been there and wanted a sneek peek.

Hi Irishguy,

I can remember the abject terror when I first inspected my bees on my own (last year), so I sympathise. Remember to only go into the hive when there is something specific to do: mark queen, check for swarm cells, check if they need a super, etc. If the bees are over-visited they can get annoyed.

Newtobees suggestion is excellent - I got transparent cover boards this year and it gives a better sense of knowing what is going on.

It will settle down and then you can start to enjoy your bees.

Best,

JD

It was interesting to say the least lol. Got 2 overwintered nucs yesterday from a local beekeeper and everything went fine installing them into the hives. Few hours later my kids wanted to see the bees so I suited them up, brought tgem over and they where well happy looking at them doing their stuff. When my daughter was taking her beesuit off there was a bee on her suit. I took it off and placed it on the bbq and watched it for about half hour. I noticed it wouldn't fly away and think it must be injured or something or possibly sick.

Anyway today my kids wanted me to open the hive which I did. I know your best leaving them to be but TBH, I wanted to have a wee peak myself. I suited us all up, lit the smoker and proceeded to open up the hive. The bees seemed cam enough untill I started to lift the frames and all started to fly around us and the hive. started to get nervous and told the kids to walk away. I put the holeless crownboard and roof back on and walked away.

I gave it 5 mins and realised I might have squashed the queen when putting the crownboard and roof on so had to go back to check to see if she's ok. I lifted the roof off again and crownboard and sadly a few dead bees all around the crownboard meets broodbox. Next I go looking for the queen and found her on one of the frames thou when lifting some frames, I noticed that the bees had wax from different frames all stuck together. When I lifted one frame, it broke off the comb and some honey seeped out. Is this normal! I thought bees didn't do this because of the bee space though seeing as im a newbie, I could be wrong. I closed up this hive seeing as the queen was safe. When putting the crown board on, I killed another few bees. I was brushing them all off the top of broodbox but was fighting a losing battle.

I opened up the next hive, lifted 2 frames and when putting one down onto the runners, I dropped it by accident about half inch away from the runner and then all the bees came flying out quickly. That was enough for me for the day. I closed the hive up, squashing a few bees again in the process.

Was an interesting first time visting the hives on my own to say the least. Hopefully the next time I won't be as clumsy killing bees :(

The bee you took off your daughters suit may have stung the suit and would have been dying from leaving half its innards with the suit. Go over the suits and remove any stings you find or the phemorone left will provoke more stinging. Was she wearing perfume of any kind as bees often react to scent. Aftershave or deodorants can be equally problematic.
Queenie would "usually" be down in the dark between the frames not on top waiting to be squashed with a crownboard. (exceptions do occur). When taking a crownboard off you should check the underside just in case she is clinging to it as you open up.
Bees don't like being bumped around so you need to avoid dropping frames back into the hive. Nervousness during your first solo run wouldn't help so go slowly and steadily to gain confidence.
Instead of trying to brush bees off the top of your brood box try a little smoke to send them down into the frames.
As others have said, you should not open up hives without a reason and clear crownboards are worth their weight in gold if you want to look at how the bees inside the hive are expanding without disturbing them (apart from flooding light into the frames).
If you haven't got a mentor it would be invaluable to get one :) Apart from that enjoy your bees and may the swarms you see be someone elses ;)

The bee you took off your daughters suit may have stung the suit and would have been dying from leaving half its innards with the suit. Go over the suits and remove any stings you find or the phemorone left will provoke more stinging. Was she wearing perfume of any kind as bees often react to scent. Aftershave or deodorants can be equally problematic.
Queenie would "usually" be down in the dark between the frames not on top waiting to be squashed with a crownboard. (exceptions do occur). When taking a crownboard off you should check the underside just in case she is clinging to it as you open up.
Bees don't like being bumped around so you need to avoid dropping frames back into the hive. Nervousness during your first solo run wouldn't help so go slowly and steadily to gain confidence.
Instead of trying to brush bees off the top of your brood box try a little smoke to send them down into the frames.
As others have said, you should not open up hives without a reason and clear crownboards are worth their weight in gold if you want to look at how the bees inside the hive are expanding without disturbing them (apart from flooding light into the frames).
If you haven't got a mentor it would be invaluable to get one :) Apart from that enjoy your bees and may the swarms you see be someone elses ;)

Agree,
A little smoke around the top of brood chamber will send the bees down and less risk of squishing them.
Clear cover board are great for a quick peep, just keep some newspaper on top of it.
Best advice I could give is leave them alone to settle into their new home, lots of time for inspections.
Best of luck & happy beekeeping :)

Love Beekeeping <3

Latest posts

Back