My dog smells awful

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Miriads
Beekeeping dog in 'astronaut' suit detects infected hives by smell

Description: http://media.treehugger.com/profiles/mgr-profile-photo-00002.jpg.50x50_q100_crop-smart.jpg

Michael Graham Richard
Science / Natural Sciences
July 12, 2013

Description: Beekeeping dog

© Josh Kennett

Bzzz bzzz woof woof

Bees are extremely important. We've been writing about for years about the various threats that they face (Margaret has a great timeline of bee articles between 2005 and 2013), and about various ways to protect them. But this story from Australia might be the most original yet, or at the very least the cutest.

On the photo above is Bazz, a black labrador that beekeeper Josh Kennett has trained to detect by smell a serious bee disease called American foulbrood. The Paenibacillus larvae caused by the infection are usually only visible under high-magnification microscope, but thanks to Bazz, that's not necessary.

Description: http://media.treehugger.com/assets/...ekeeping-suit-02.jpg.492x0_q85_crop-smart.jpg
© Josh Kennett

Microscope analysis might not be needed thanks to Bazz's nose, but the dog still had to be protected from bee attack to get close enough to sniff out the hives. That's why Kennett built this protective suit that makes Bazz look a big like a canine astronaut.

It's particularly important to detect American foulbrood infections early because there is no cure (yet), so the only thing that can be done is quarantining the infected colonies to keep the disease from spreading.

Description: http://media.treehugger.com/assets/images/2013/07/beehive-photo-01.jpg.492x0_q85_crop-smart.jpg
Wikimedia/CC BY-SA 3.0

You can listen to a radio interview with Mr. Kennett here about his bees and dog.:icon_204-2:

:icon_204-2::icon_204-2::icon_204-2:

Sniffer dogs have been used for years and now they are being trained to detect such things as breast cancer and a whole host of other "chemical signatures". Bee's are also being trained to detect explosives in airports.

Fascinating stuff

I have recently been working with a company that have dogs for searching animal carcasses at wind farm sites. The handlers have told me they also have dogs that can detect bed bugs and are in use a lot in many of the top hotels......wouldn't tell me which though
S

It is indeed fascinating stuff, I think it's amazing how effective properly trained sniffer dogs are.

The handlers have told me they also have dogs that can detect bed bugs and are in use a lot in many of the top hotels......wouldn't tell me which though

Any that have international travellers. Bed bugs are an increasing problem, often transferring from one piece of badly sealed luggage to another.

our 2.5yo springer has trained herself to detect all sorts of ailments in our extended cat family. anything she sniffs at needs further investigation.

They also use dogs to find bed bugs

The world has gone mad.. Bees are now being trained to detect explosives and drugs on aircraft etc. Meanwhile the sniffer dogs are making sure the bees are ok..

Amazing!

In New Zealand a sniffer dog found an 'illegal' apple in my wife's hand luggage. How we chuckled when we noticed the "New Zealand" label on it... Confiscated but no fine!

Dogs have been known to detect not only that people have cancer but in which part of the body...mainly in owner's bodies..

Dogs have been known to detect not only that people have cancer but in which part of the body...mainly in owner's bodies..

You need to be sensible about this, it's normal for dogs to sniff round your rear end...

..and on topic, get used to the smell of a healthy hive without opening it.

Chris

Some cats apparently can detect illnesses by their change in behaviour towards their owners. A normally friendly cat can and will become indifferent or unhappy to be around someone who has a serious illness like cancer.
I just thought my two were like that all the time- indifferent to everyone!

Latest posts

Back