My bees are collecting like crazy.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Les

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
One of my hives is on scales so while the weather has been good the bees have been collecting 3ks a day :)
I was watching them at lunchtime and about ¾ of the bees were bringing in pollen – so the other ¼ have either done really with the nectar or the bees changed tack and started bringing in nectar.

Les, can you give details or post a picture of the scales you are using. I have always wanted to use a scales but really do not know what to build or use. would be delighted to find out what scales are good to use (and also easy to construct)

They are Avery scales I got from where I worked when they shut down and weigh up to 250kg in 100 gram increments.

Thanks a mil. unfortunately not the DIY version I was hoping for, but lucky you. Jim

Les, can you give details or post a picture of the scales you are using. I have always wanted to use a scales but really do not know what to build or use. would be delighted to find out what scales are good to use (and also easy to construct)

Add a hook to the middle of each side (L&R) of the hive floor.
Use a luggage scale to weigh each side. Add the weights.

This week Lidl (England) are offering a £6.99 digital luggage scale.
Beeping when the reading is steady - and then freezing the LCD so you can set the thing down before looking at the LCD - makes taking the reading much easier than lifting while trying to read off from a fidgeting needle on a non-digital type.
The Lidl scale weighs up to 50kg, so a 100kg hive.
Should be enough for most ... :)

One of my hives is on scales so while the weather has been good the bees have been collecting 3ks a day :)
I was watching them at lunchtime and about ¾ of the bees were bringing in pollen – so the other ¼ have either done really with the nectar or the bees changed tack and started bringing in nectar.

Don't forget colonies like this are expanding fast with large areas of brood, a few bad days could see that surplus disappear fast, be prepared to feed if we get a long period of wet/cold weather.

Well, what a difference a day makes – yesterday plus 3kg, today minus 700 grams.

Back