Moving the bees temporarily

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steve_e

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I am replacing the surface area under where I keep my three hives over the next few days. This should have been done a few weeks ago when it was much colder but a problem occurred and we couldn't do it then.

The bees are still fairly quiet atm - although when the temperature rises by only a couple of degrees they do start to raise their heads. Hopefully next week it will still be too cold for much activity. But what I was hoping to do was to only move them a few yards away for two days then put them back in the same position - blocking up their entrance to keep them from flying out.

Is this a bad idea or are there likely to be any problems with doing it this way? I really don't want to have to take them a few miles away then bring them back again a few weeks later, which seems to be the main alternative.

at this time of year what harm would they take with there entrance blocked for a few days providing they have plenty of food and some ventilation,would they need to get out to get water???
Darren

at this time of year what harm would they take with there entrance blocked for a few days providing they have plenty of food and some ventilation,would they need to get out to get water???
Darren

Mine certainly would need water. They've been collecting it like Trojans on warm days for the past week and it's going to be mild tomorrow.
Cazza

Maybe block them in at night and put some 1:1 syrup on so they have fluid to keep them sorted. As long as somewhere cool and no full sun on them they should be ok for 2 days- IMO If we had a load of snow it would be the same conditions.

Thanks for the suggestions - I hadn't thought about water, but since they're not really flying this week I guess they won't notice it if the temperature stays the same.

I had thought about sticking a rapid feeder on Heather, so I may well do that. At 1:1 I guess they'll be able to get enough water out if they need it. And they're starting to feel a bit light now anyway!

why dont you just raise it by a foot or two and suspend like a sadan chair or move forward by two foot bees wont notice then carry out the work and move back over a couple of days

I can't believe everyone's bees are flying and bringing in pollen and water. Mine went in at Christmas and havent been out since! Oh well, I know they are still in there so I guess we just have to wait until our welsh marches bees decide the weather is good for sunbathing!
I am so jealous of you all.
E

It's not quite as easy as that. We're removing a layer of crushed sandstone, then replacing with nidagravel sheets and then laying the gravel, all over about 10 square yards - so it will be more than 3 feet. I'll only be moving them a few yards away but obviously don't want the risk of them flying (if it does get warm) and making their way back to where we'll be working! :eek:

I really don't want to have to take them a few miles away then bring them back again a few weeks later, which seems to be the main alternative.

Not a main alternative at all. Probably a mile (or less) would do at this time of the year and it needs only be for the duration of the work, ie two days?

Hassle, I know, but bee-free while working and no problem if the job is delayed.

Assuming you're on OMF = put on a rapid feeder with 1:1 syrup, block the entrance and move them out of the way.

edited to add that's good for the few days you need

Last edited:
We did similar recently to allow flagging to go down under the hives. Blocked the hive entrance at night, and in the morning carried the hives down the garden gently on two pieces of 3x2 like a litter. Left in situ, with a contact feeder on top, for the day and a half it took to complete the work, then moved back on the second afternoon. Unblocked the entrances again in the evening, so that the next morning, all was back to normal. Seems to have had no ill effects. This was a couple of weeks ago now, when it was a bit colder. But that said, the bees have been brooding right though Christmas and the new year with no apartment respite, and only one period when they have appeared to be clustered at all. You need to take a judgement call on how active you bees are. It worked well for me, but we did time it to be in January.

LJ

I think that's what I'll be doing, thanks. It's only just occurred to me that I need to remember to mark the hives properly to ensure I don't manage to 'shuffle' them and put them back in each other's places! :banghead:

Spare a thought for me .
Moving house - I have to move 10 nationals and a WBC....but on the bright side- the outlook from my new garden is... fields, woods, and a 'farmer' who cuts once for hay but then leaves for all the wild flowers to promote. And I am hoping he will sell me a strip of land 9'x100' along the side of the bungalow (he owns but doesn't ever use and it has a gate access) where I can keep the hives - and maybe some on the edges of his fields to spread the load!!
Busy summer ahead. :D

I can't believe everyone's bees are flying and bringing in pollen and water. Mine went in at Christmas and havent been out since! Oh well, I know they are still in there so I guess we just have to wait until our welsh marches bees decide the weather is good for sunbathing!
I am so jealous of you all.
E

Can't remember what altitude you're at enrico? We had 16 out of the 17 out and flying yesterday at 200m up & north of you in the Marches and a few collecting good loads of snowdrop and small loads of first hazel and they've been in and out regularly all winter: on the gorse pollen late January and will be again if the willow doesn't get a move on. Expect they'll be busy today as it's 12 deg already and not looking like rain.

Spare a thought for me .
Moving house - I have to move 10 nationals and a WBC....but on the bright side- the outlook from my new garden is... fields, woods, and a 'farmer' who cuts once for hay but then leaves for all the wild flowers to promote. And I am hoping he will sell me a strip of land 9'x100' along the side of the bungalow (he owns but doesn't ever use and it has a gate access) where I can keep the hives - and maybe some on the edges of his fields to spread the load!!
Busy summer ahead. :D

Sounds good for the bees. Hmm...will no doubt try and charge a ridiculous amount as it's part of that all important "first acre" (been there, done that. Twice). We moved here almost ten years ago with several trips across from Norfolk with 7.5 tonners plus the two deck Ifor AND the biggest removal truck they had. Move again? Noooooooo...Unless it's permanent emigration! But Wales is wonderful :)

I will pay to rent the land at the side- unless he will let me buy, which I would prefer. I dont pay for bees in a field! If he want pollination we can chat about it over a bottle of wine- he is a neighbour:cool: Think he is a person who just respects the land and enjoys the wildlife. I can keep him in honey...and I will have views to die for.

p.s. house for sale here....:D

Latest posts

Back