Moving frame positions within a brood box

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes looks like a good lot of bees.

That said, the "insulating quilts" should be binned in favour of a layer of 50mm (or thicker) insulation board (Celotex, Kingspan, Xtratherm, etc). Very fine grained foam between skins of aluminium foil.

View attachment 9577

Did this back in November last year. :)

In answer to questions, I immediately moved the nuc into the brood box with full frames of foundation either side. This was mid July last year (got nuc later than expected but so did everyone I think). They failed to draw out much comb at all, despite some feeding. Eventually got up to about 7 frames of drawn comb but they appear to have drawn two more in the past month since applying fondant.

Thanks for comments, especially as you all seem to agree they are doing well.

Foam quilt is dry to touch. Have placed this inside eke above fondant as per photo. This may change when fondant completely depleted and they may be able to access roof space.

Horrible weather at the moment, so wet. Concerned about pollen levels really. Can there be much about or is it getting washed away....?

Good grief! What did you put in that fondant! Drawing in Jan/Feb! Starting at the same time, I am so jealous. My girls had drawn a box plus three frames by late Nov but many fewer seams than yours now.

3rd January, 1 slab of the good stuff from Thornes. Still have some Fondabee product from my local association if I need it but I think it will go spare this year.

3rd January, 1 slab of the good stuff from Thornes. Still have some Fondabee product from my local association if I need it but I think it will go spare this year.

Why pay through the nose for their stuff - bog standard baker's fondant is exactly the same stuff - whatever the gullible try to tell you

Why pay through the nose for their stuff - bog standard baker's fondant is exactly the same stuff - whatever the gullible try to tell you

Because I have vast reserves of cash and can afford it.

Plus I'm a new bee and know no different. :)

Is that a fact? Is there somebody else who can confirm that?

Yes, it is a fact. Look at the ingredients for one - Intothelionsden will confirm as well - he's seen the stuff produced. It's just all bog standard sugar fondant dressed up in fancy names

Bakers fondant is £15 locally, we pay just over £16 for ambrosia, same size box. It is good as it comes in handy size packs, so doesn't go hard and your fingers don't get sticky as no prep involved.
The price reflects we buy a minimum of 4 pallets a year and sell it on to association members with a 10% mark up. It's a few shillings more than bakers but it seems to go well and ensures good turn out at association events as people come to pick it up.
Shifted 6 pallets this year.

Last edited:
Bakers fondant is £15 locally, we pay just over £16 for ambrosia, same size box. It is good as it comes in handy size packs, so doesn't go hard and your fingers don't get sticky as no prep involved.
The price reflects we buy a minimum of 4 pallets a year and sell it on to association members with a 10% mark up. It's a few shillings more than bakers but it seems to go well and ensures good turn out at association events as people come to pick it up.

The other advantage I have found is that when placed over the crown board it seals the hole so no bees in roof space. Quick and easy winter inspection.

"it seals the hole so no bees in roof space"

your hole should be covered anyway (preferably with a nice slab of insulation) going into winter.

would you leave your loft hatch or attic window open all winter?

"it seals the hole so no bees in roof space"

your hole should be covered anyway (preferably with a nice slab of insulation) going into winter.

would you leave your loft hatch or attic window open all winter?

I don't think there is any 'should' about it. If the feeding hole is covered with candy, and the candy is covered with plastic or a tub, and the plastic or tub is covered with insulation, then there is no hole in the roof to worry about.

Fair enough that's a good deal. I get fondant for £11.00 for 12.5 KG and I could get a pallet of fondant packaged in 5x2.5 KG packs for £16.00 but couldn't shift 70 boxes and certainly not at a fiver a box extra. This is Wales you know. I'm lucky really if I suggested it a little further West they'd likely burn me as a witch!!

"If the feeding hole is covered with candy,"

sure but MOST people who do feed small batches of candy above the CB (the chinese takeaway tub approach) tend to do it once stores start being depleted - in the 2nd half of winter - meaning that the bees have had cooler/cold non-productive weather with an upstairs draught (unless insulation is used).

sure but MOST people tend to do it once stores start being depleted - in the 2nd half of winter - meaning that the bees have had cooler/cold non-productive weather with an upstairs draught (unless insulation is used).

EEerr, have I missed something? You can keep the feed hole covered all winter, until you put fondant on. Then the insulation, if you use it, goes back on top of the fondant.

sure but MOST people who do feed small batches of candy above the CB ... do it once stores start being depleted - in the 2nd half of winter - meaning that the bees have had cooler/cold non-productive weather with an upstairs draught (unless insulation is used).

Most people, Drstitson? I have never seen a post by anybody saying they leave a hole in the CB (apart from matchstick believers), nor do I know of anybody doing that - not even new beekeepers.

Most people, Drstitson? I have never seen a post by anybody saying they leave a hole in the CB (apart from matchstick believers), nor do I know of anybody doing that - not even new beekeepers.

I'm afraid that I know more than a few who seem to think that the hive was divinely created with holes in the crownboard, and no insulation.

They tend to avoid computers, let alone this forum.

I'm afraid that I know more than a few who seem to think that the hive was divinely created with holes in the crownboard, and no insulation.

They tend to avoid computers, let alone this forum.

quite a few people posting on here also believe that the sky was made with a hole in it!

Yes, I've got insulation inside and outside roof. Not much activity today though, despite the sun.

Latest posts

Back