Moving an aggressive colony

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Martinreed

New Bee
Reaction score
I have recently acquired a colony that has proved to be quite aggressive/defensive and I would like to move it to a more secluded part of my apiary. I'm aware of the 3ft/3 mile rule and to move it away from the other colonies a yard a day would take about a month! Also there is the problem is the route from the current position to the new position means at times having it close to other hives
I have another apiary more than 3 miles away and wonder if an alternative is to move it to the remote apiary and then move it back to its new position. If so how long should I leave it in the remote apiary?

I have another apiary more than 3 miles away and wonder if an alternative is to move it to the remote apiary and then move it back to its new position. If so how long should I leave it in the remote apiary?

That would be your best option. Four to five weeks should be ample (the rationale is that all the flying bees who had oriented at the original apiary will have died therefore the colony would have no memory of it but why not just leave them there and maybe move one from that apiary back to the original apiary if you want to keep the numbers the same - same two return journeys as well.

. Others on here claim success with a branch of Leylandii or similar across the entrance to confuse the flyers and force reorientation.

Yerrrs -can help, it sometimes works, usually doesn't. Are you prepared to take the risk?

Back