Moving a colony

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy Coleman

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I'm planning to move a hive which has been in my back garden, onto a better apiary on a farm - I don't want any embarrassment with my neighbours if I get a swarm this year!

I had read the best time to move is the winter because they aren't flying much, and so won't get any problems with orientation (the farm is only a couple of miles away). But someone from Thorne's has just recommended not to move until early March, because moving is always stressful and might lead to an outbreak of dysentery which in winter could lead to loss of the colony.

I would be interested to hear anyone's views and experiences on this subject.

regards Andy

I would not do a 2 mile move in March becaue that runs the risk of having a few thousand bees turn up in your back garden and having a slow and miserable death.

You need to do the move now, placing some branches over the entrance so that your bees do not 'bomb out' and get lost.

I am only new to this myself, but everything I have heard is to do it now. we have a cold week of weather coming next week apparently. If it is the same with you might be worth doing it then, It will keep them in a bit longer hopefully reduce the risk of them trying to fly back home. by march i would have thought they would be definately flying?? but someone more experienced than me will probably come along and explain more

I am only new to this myself, but everything I have heard is to do it now. we have a cold week of weather coming next week apparently. If it is the same with you might be worth doing it then, It will keep them in a bit longer hopefully reduce the risk of them trying to fly back home. by march i would have thought they would be definately flying?? but someone more experienced than me will probably come along and explain more

"Three feet or three mile" rule once the bees have started flying.

Ben P

if you have the option, wait till the warmer weather then move them three miles from your old and new apiaries, wait two to three weeks, then move them to the new apiary

I personaly wouldn't move a hive at this time of year for risk of breaking up the cluster...

Latest posts

Back