Moss Nook Honey

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Number of Hives
Has anyone else had issues with the hives from here? I bought what was supposed to be a cedar hive with frames - albeit cheap for sure. It arrived with a chipped brood box, a split door. See photos. My friend had a hive from them which had already split after just one season. Despite it being allegedly cedar I’m now going to paint the new hive and hopefully stopping anything else splitting.
When the hive was delivered it was on the Simonthebeekeeper DHL account so possibly it’s just Simon renamed.
I did ring them and was offered £5 off. Frankly I just won’t use them again. Unless the rest of you have had good experiences and I’m just unlucky.

Attachments

• IMG_9872.png
    IMG_9872.png
    7.9 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_9834.jpeg
    IMG_9834.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_9832.jpeg
    IMG_9832.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 1
I'm a perfectionist and it pains me to see stuff like that, but you have to accept it with home grown cedar. I make a lot of my own boxes and it is just impossible to make them flawless. You'd have to buy Canadian cedar which is at a different price level. An alternative is Paulownia (Cornishoney.co.uk use this), but that is often grown in the far east so like Canadian cedar can have a higher carbon footprint than British grown cedar.

Once it has been in the weather and has had bees in them you won't notice the imperfections. It is not a piece of fine household furniture.

The people behind Moss Nook Honey bought Simon the beekeeper. There are far far worse suppliers.

Latest posts

Back