mixing sugar syrup

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Haynes book on beekeeping still advocates matchsticks:rolleyes:

I tried that method but takes far too long mixing the syrup with matchsticks!
:biggrinjester:

Back on subject I mix in 12.5l jerrycans, sugar in 1st (normally 8-10kg) followed by hot water (from the tap in my case). Shake container (after putting cap on!) and repeat a few times as and when it settles if not all dissolved.
Works for me and yes I have some sugar crystals in my rapid feeders but I just keep topping them up and generally the bees manage.

Last edited:
Its supposed to be 2 parts by weight of sugar to one part by weight of hot water.

One kilogram of fresh water is exactly one litre.

Make up your 2 ;1 mix 2kg of sugar to 1 litre of hot water..... simples really

{but some DO like to complicate matters!}

Its supposed to be 2 parts by weight of sugar to one part by weight of hot water.

One kilogram of fresh water is exactly one litre.

Make up your 2 ;1 mix 2kg of sugar to 1 litre of hot water..... simples really

{but some DO like to complicate matters!}

They complicate things by using different measuring methods! ;)

You have the scales out for the sugar, so weigh the water!
Keep it simple! :smash: :)

And incidentally, weighing reinforces the message that it is 2:1 by weight - and not 2 bucketsful to 1 bucketful (working by volume).

What one is really trying to steer away from are the hybrid recipes for 2 pounds to a pint (UK pint is 1.25 lb), and the like.

/ Not that its terribly important for bee-syrup, but digital weighing of liquids (esp water) is much more accurate than using the printed lines on most measuring jugs. This makes a massive difference to home bread-making giving consistent or predictable results.

I tried that method but takes far too long mixing the syrup with matchsticks!
:biggrinjester:

Back on subject I mix in 12.5l jerrycans, sugar in 1st (normally 8-10kg) followed by hot water (from the tap in my case). Shake container (after putting cap on!) and repeat a few times as and when it settles if not all dissolved.
Works for me and yes I have some sugar crystals in my rapid feeders but I just keep topping them up and generally the bees manage.

:rofl:

And incidentally, weighing reinforces the message that it is 2:1 by weight - and not 2 bucketsful to 1 bucketful (working by volume).

What one is really trying to steer away from are the hybrid recipes for 2 pounds to a pint (UK pint is 1.25 lb), and the like.

All well and good weighing but a great many references refer to 2lb per pint

In metric that is 908g / 568ml, or, as the NBU recommend in their feeding bees leaflet 1kg / 630ml which is clearly not 2:1

I suspect the perennial problem with people failing to get sugar to dissolve without boiling or a lot of effort is that they are using a 'metric' 2:1 which isn't the same as an imperial 2:1.

All a bit academic really, provided it is as "heavy" as it can be got it's going to be ok.

I have worked probably wrongly to the 2:1 for over 20 years. Bees were fine.

PH

Mixing success depends much on how hot is water.

I do not know how much I have mixed sugar
during my life.

How can I mix syrup wrong?
I can because I am only a human.

During my life they have said that I mix everything. Why not then sugar?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back