Mixed frames

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Winker

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi there,

Yesterday i got my first nuc of bees as a new beekeeper. When i went to transfer teh bees over to there new hive today, i seen that frames they came on all have plastic spacers on the ends, the hive i have ready set up has hofman self spacing frames..

So now it kinda looks messy in the hive with the space between the frames. Any thing i can do to fix it. or should i just order up some of those frame with plastic spacers (i didnt want to use these) and leave it as is for the mean time?

Hi there,

Yesterday i got my first nuc of bees as a new beekeeper. When i went to transfer teh bees over to there new hive today, i seen that frames they came on all have plastic spacers on the ends, the hive i have ready set up has hofman self spacing frames..

So now it kinda looks messy in the hive with the space between the frames. Any thing i can do to fix it. or should i just order up some of those frame with plastic spacers (i didnt want to use these) and leave it as is for the mean time?

It doesn't matter that much but you could whip off the plastic spacers and use Hoffman frame converter clips if you want it all to look uniform.
Cazza

If they're on short spacers, swap the last one next to the hoffmans for long spacers. Overlap these past the short spacer on the next one, and the other side will space correctly against the lug of the hoffman.

Exactly the same thing happened to me last year - I am trying to work them to the edge to get rid of them (have managed to get rid of one so far). I just try to space them 'by eye' but I must admit it didn't do my confidence much good, another thing to think about!

many thanks for putting my mind to rest. I have a god eye for space, so i guess i will do the same as most of you and live with it, and try and work the non hofman frames out over time.

Many thanks again

Think in terms of your investment being the bees and not the frames and combs. Aim to work the 'odd' frames your bees came on out of the box. Those can be the ones you replace first time you open them up next spring.

I agree with MB. Get your brood onto hoffmans asap, if the bee space varies, they will build brace comb and you'll end up in a mess. (Been there, done that, got the "T" shirt.)

Use the frames with spacers in the super.

put your hoffmans with foundation to the warm side ( south) and the bees will migrqate the brood to the warm side leaving old frames to the cold side ( north) filled with stores, you need to replace frames at about one third of your brood frames per year

remove the old frame as they put stores in it ( or on puting the nuc in the stores frame if yuo are feeding) and feed back the comb to the the bees above crown and put new hoffman to the south warm side

either judge the hoffman/space to fit a spacer (one wide or two narrows touching give the correct 35-37mm) on the first hoffman

if you are feeding you could remove the spacers on the store frame and score the honey and feed that to them on second porter hole

Latest posts

Back