Mink / Otters

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
3 hives
Have a natural fresh water pond, up to middle of last year was wll stocked with small to large carp. Over a period of about 2 weeks last year virtually the entire stock of fish had been killed / eaten by either mink or otter with partly eaten fish remains (mainly the tail) left around the pond and adjoining field,
This year a pair of black Swans have been introduced to the pond.
The qustion is - Will the mink or otter attack / kill the Swans ?

OK - so I could look up on Google, but the wealth and diversity of knowledge on this forum is far greater.

Have a natural fresh water pond, up to middle of last year was wll stocked with small to large carp. Over a period of about 2 weeks last year virtually the entire stock of fish had been killed / eaten by either mink or otter with partly eaten fish remains (mainly the tail) left around the pond and adjoining field,
This year a pair of black Swans have been introduced to the pond.
The qustion is - Will the mink or otter attack / kill the Swans ?

OK - so I could look up on Google, but the wealth and diversity of knowledge on this forum is far greater.

Swans are pretty good at defending themselves & if this was last year theres a good chance the mink or otter has moved on.

One night on the Tawe I had a tug of war with a mink over a sea trout I caught and left on the river bank, his teeth had a better grip than my wet hands.

Are you sure it was otters or mink? A couple of years ago I lost my carp to herons. They would catch the fish and leave them partly eaten on the pond bank.

The local game keeper lent a friend a mink trap which was successful in catching this dreadful animal after he lost most of his fish, but he did not loose any of his ducks. I thgink a swan will be too big for a mink.

about three years ago a friend of mine lost all his ornamental carp to an otter - we know it was an otter as we have a local otter expert living nearby (he's done a few surveys for us before we've done works on our rivers) Don't mind that (even Glyn didn't) it's nice to see them back again after so many years. But as for mink.................................

There are Heron in our area as we are about 1 mile from very large lake, the pond is surrounded with tall trees and the fish disappeared very quickly, mink trap sounds good idea, will have to find out how they work. Hope it is not an otter, will release (if caught)around the far side of large lake.

Herons tend to hunt at dawn. High trees around a pond is no obstacle to them. I even had one under the net I put over the pond to protect the fish. They will land away from the pond and walk to it if its overhung by trees.

The mink traps (live traps) are about £15. Try this site and there are others.

http://www.ratbait.co.uk/professional-mink-cage-trap-224-p.asp

best of luck

Mike

We have herons all day long in our fields catching voles, very interesting to watch at such close range, theyre great stalkers.

Anyone got a couple of heron feathers they would like to send me

Sent from my GT-S5570 using Tapatalk 2

Heron control

One way we found to stop the herons was to put a low level electric fence around to pond. Needs to be at the edge of the pond. We used the electric fencing we have for the horses....worked well and even after we took it down...they stayed away. It might stop otters but perhaps not mink as they are so much smaller.

Herons are welcome in our pond.....wonderful natural wildlife.
I find they are quite good at catching frogs but they don't get all of them as the pond is full of spawn every year.
If you insist on paying silly money to put garish ornamental fish in your pond....what do you expect?

When we lived in Cumbria there was a timber yard in Dallam we used to shop in and there was an ancient heronry there.......100 nests maybe.Wonderful!!!!

PS Redwood, no heron feathers to send you but have plenty Red Kite

Ok ...... curiosity got the cat........please tell me why you would like the Heron feathers? PLEASE.

Have you come across many Red Kite primaries (same wing)? They'd be something special to fletch a set of arrows with.
I've made some beautiful arrows with roadkill Pheasant, Sparrowhawk and Tawny Owl in the past.

Have you come across many Red Kite primaries (same wing)? They'd be something special to fletch a set of arrows with.
I've made some beautiful arrows with roadkill Pheasant, Sparrowhawk and Tawny Owl in the past.

I will have some good flight and tail feathers off my peacocks later in the year if anyone interested. Some tail feathers have been had by fly fishermen for making their flies.

I will have some good flight and tail feathers off my peacocks later in the year if anyone interested. Some tail feathers have been had by fly fishermen for making their flies.

Oh yeah, tail feathers & swords too please i make my own flies, have done for 35 years :)

Latest posts

Back