Min temp

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Perhaps a little early but I'd like to check if the cluster has isolated itself from the stores sooner rather than later.

What's the lowest temp you would do a job like this?

I haven't seen double numbers on the thermometer since mid November
They stopped their early afternoon orientations three weeks ago.
I've trickeled oa but had to be quick as it was unavoidably cold so I didn't get to check properly.
They're in thermo-wrapped cedar and took down just under 5 gallons in October,lots of which I saw is still capped.

Why don't you pull the inspection board out (if its in) you can determine which frame(s) they are currently on and compare that to what you have already observed when you did the OA trickle. But what makes you think they may have isolated themselves from the stores you saw?

When I ambled past some of the hives at 1pm today there were at least 3 colonies out and about. Max temp here today was 7 Deg C.

Provided you are doing this for a good reason NOT just mere curiosity....

It will do no harm to pop the CB and have a quick look. 30 seconds should do it. Irrespective of temp provided it's dry.

PH

A few weeks ago I transferred some nucs to poly and have opened hives to trickle for years even pulling frames on a few nucs if conditions allow. Years ago people often responded with you’ll kill the bees!!! Never felt the need to check if they had got isolated though, maybe rather over thinking the situation.

If I worried about isolation starvation I would be a nervous wreck and my bees dead.. -4C overnight.

Put your ear flat against the side of the hive. You should be able to hear a comforting buzz. Won't tell you much but at least you will know they are alive!!
E

I have listened to colonies that were utterly silent until I rapped the side of the hive: then I head the buzz. I would change that "should" to "may".

PH

While listening, stoop a bit further if your stands allow and look underneath at the mesh floor. The bees will soon buzz when they catch your breath. ;)

Latest posts

Back