Mentors offered in Southport

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello Mc Nulty.
As you can see you can get a lot of advice on here. My comments to you from what you've said so far. Personally I think Langstroth is not for beginners but hey throw yourself in the deep end you'll either sink or swim. Join the association you get the benefit of a monthly mag which is informative.The insurance isn't worth much. Good that you're boning up on beekeeping however a mentor is invaluable especially with the Langstroth a big colony to a beginner can be formidable. Please get local bees. If you join the association you can ask to be put on the swarm list. Ormskirk is a better association than Southport (more real educators) thats it good luck.

Have you asked Lancashire about bees? Tried their website? Picked a local branch? Sussed out who sells locally? Spoken to any of the local Beekeepers? Found out who sells langs Nucs of the bee you want? Gone to a hive with a Beekeepers? Got any experience?

Wouldn't it be prudent to do these things before buying a hive or looking for bees?
I agree but if mcnulty wants to do it his/her way then then whatever. I wouldn't like a newbee to face a Langstroth without a mentor could be dangerous. We all remember the initial mistakes and to make an error on a big hive like that, well Southport A&E is nt far from Crossens. lol.

I'd like to know what colony size has to do with aggression ?
Mentors are worth their weight in gold but I still stand by my advice .ie join a society , meet local Beekeepers, attend hive openings galore .listen, observe, get a feel for bees .
If happy with bees and beekeeping ? Then start worrying about which hive/ bee type etc.
Lastly ,keep your money in your pocket until you know enough to spend it wisely!
VM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Personally I think Langstroth is not for beginners but hey throw yourself in the deep end you'll either sink or swim.

... a mentor is invaluable especially with the Langstroth a big colony to a beginner can be formidable.

Sorry, but I disagree with you about the boxes. We're one of the few countries in the world where Langstroth, or either similar or larger size boxes and frames, is not the norm.

A colony will fill the space it needs, not the space it's given, and trying to force bees to stay in a little box is a recipe for swarming. I think a lot of people who start out with standard nationals find them too small for a full colony, and end up either buying/making larger boxes (14x12 or commercial) or need to use brood and a half. Starting with a larger box, and larger frames, is no different to starting off with a nucleus colony in any type of - it's all new - but the larger box does give leeway, and can be less expensive in the long term.

I do, however, fully agree with getting a mentor. As VM says, a good, reliable, mentor is worth their weight in gold.

Hello Mc Nulty.
As you can see you can get a lot of advice on here. My comments to you from what you've said so far. Personally I think Langstroth is not for beginners but hey throw yourself in the deep end you'll either sink or swim. Join the association you get the benefit of a monthly mag which is informative.The insurance isn't worth much. Good that you're boning up on beekeeping however a mentor is invaluable especially with the Langstroth a big colony to a beginner can be formidable. Please get local bees. If you join the association you can ask to be put on the swarm list. Ormskirk is a better association than Southport (more real educators) thats it good luck.

ormskirk or southport : mountains or the moss :)

Latest posts

Back