Mentoring

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sussex Bees

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
How long do mentors mentor individuals for, roughly?

Weeks? Months? Years?

I know it depends on the individual, everybody learns at a different rate, but I'd be interested to hear what some of the more experienced mentors have to say.

Every beekeeper needs a mentor, bee buddy, or beekeeping friend because no beekeeper will have seen everything and there'll always be something new to talk about and to work out what to do.

How long do mentors mentor individuals for, roughly?

What is a mentor? It's not the same as being a teacher (although there may be some transmission of information). A mentors role is just to be there when / if necessary.
Some people may need minimum support and others may need a sustained involvement, but, the mentor may not be the person to deliver it. The goal has to be to assist the "student" to become an independent learner. When they can do that, the job is done.

What is a mentor? It's not the same as being a teacher (although there may be some transmission of information). A mentors role is just to be there when / if necessary.
Some people may need minimum support and others may need a sustained involvement, but, the mentor may not be the person to deliver it. The goal has to be to assist the "student" to become an independent learner. When they can do that, the job is done.

:iagree:

Huge difference between mentoring and coaching. Too many times I've been asked to mentor for the recipient ask I do it for them..... :hairpull::nono:

Hopefully the beginner will develop into a permanent friend who may even become more "expert" than the mentor. Regardless of the relative levels of expertise it's always handy to have someone to bounce ideas off, discuss problems and be able to step in (either way round) if one of the partnership is struggling.
So I don't think there should be a time limit, although it may be necessary to give tough love if there is abuse of the partnership.

Latest posts

Back