Median wasps and other stripey newcomers

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gardenbees

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I found some median wasps feeding on cotoneaster nectar! They're quite a bit bigger than common or German wasps, but not quite as big as hornets. They are variable, but often have a lot of black, with just thin yellow stripes. They also have a yellow "7" shape on their shoulder. They aren't really "newcomers" - as far as I know, they have been living in the UK since about 1980. There are one or two other interesting new wasps about too: e.g. tree wasps, Saxon wasps and red wasps.

Median wasp adults mostly feed on nectar, so I suppose they could be considered competitors with honeybees (although their nests aren't really that big). They also take insect prey, presumably including bees, to feed their queen. But mostly they seem to stick to nectar. Apparently they're quite good pollinators.

The ones I was looking at were very calm, but I gather that they will defend their nests fairly meaningfully if under threat. The nests are a bit rounder than a normal wasp's nest, grey, papery, and about the size of a small football - so gardeners need to watch out if they come across one when pruning a hedge etc. The ones I saw had a nest in a shrub about three feet away :)eek:which I noticed, with some alarm, only as I was walking away!). They weren't reacting at all, so you'd probably have to rattle them quite hard to get stung... not something I'd like to risk, though, given their size!

:)Personally I think they're very smart-looking and rather special - and the queens are something else, huge and very impressive! I don't think they're much of a threat to beekeeping, but having said that, does anyone have any experience of unusual wasps attacking their bees?

That!!! Is horrendous and I never ever want to see anything like that near my bees :eek:

Great pictures though, I love the pictures on this forum, prefer the bee ones lol, but great detail and indication of size with the leaves. *shudders*

I've never seen anything but the usual wasps bother my bees. I've not encountered hornets yet, thankfully ;)

Awww.. sorry Kaz, I thought they were rather smart-looking!
Oh well - here's a picture of one of my lot, on a flower, just to make you feel better!
For the record, a median wasp is about one and a half times the size of the bee in the picture.

:biggrinjester:oops - that didn't make you feel better!

I admire your efforts at overcoming the bee-phobia. Personally I find that getting close to thousands of potentially sting-y bees really takes the edge off my worries about other stinging insects. Not that I'm going to be poking any median wasp nests any time soon, of course....

I saw median wasps (plenty of them too) here for the first time last year. I haven't seen any this year, so maybe the hard winter sorted them out. It's not all good news. There are hornets about this year, I have squashed 3 so far, but fortunately have not seen them taking too much interest in the hives so far. At least restricted entrance dimensions can keep them out.

:biggrinjester:oops - that didn't make you feel better!

Erm.........no :eek:

:smilielol5:

Lovely bee picture. My mind is a mystery, because I now find bees beautiful, still can't get over my fear of wasps and flies though. I'm the first to admit, I am a bit odd ;)

The thought of a huge wasp just makes me want to cry like a girl!

Lets not talk about the queen :p

There was a bunch of these wasps making a nest on my greenhouse sliding door, and I did not notice them. When I slid the door shut I must have rolled them - I still did not notice until I got stung on the back of my leg above the ankle.
It was like a kick from a donkey - nothing like a bee sting!
We get a lot of wasps, and hornets often fly into the house at night, attracted by the light.
Yesterday in our local paper, it said to watch out for Asian hornets, and had a diagram to show how to make an Asian hornet trap.
So they are well and truly here :eek::eek:

Spotted these Median Wasps last year in august feeding off my plums. I'm up on Teesside so they must be spread across much on the country.

Spotted these Median Wasps last year in august feeding off my plums. I'm up on Teesside so they must be spread across much on the country.

I bet that was painfull :eek:.

Sorry i couldn't resist that one..

:laughing-smiley-004

Luminos,
would there be any chance of you taking a photo if the nest? i would like to see what it looks like.

picture.php

queen median wasp April 2011 West Yorks. Big and bright yellow like a small flying banana. Thought it was a hornet initially but thorax pattern is wrong for hornet.

queen median wasp April 2011 West Yorks. Big and bright yellow like a small flying banana. Thought it was a hornet initially but thorax pattern is wrong for hornet.

Whoa - I am upstaged! They really are impressive beasts.

Re. the Asian hornets - they are a worry as they have really made themselves at home within a very short space of time since arriving in France. Still no confirmed Asian hornets here, but I guess it's only a matter of time.

I caught quite a few queen asian hornets this spring and have not been bothered this year until this week:eek:

Just a single worker hunting in front of one hive both a home and at my out apiary - time for the badminton raquet:smash:

Exactly the same for me Mike, killed some Queens in spring and the first worker spotted this week - just the one so far.

Chris

Had these having a go at one of my nucs a few weeks ago, seem to have disappeared now.

I bet that was painfull :eek:.

Sorry i couldn't resist that one..

:laughing-smiley-004

Luminos,
would there be any chance of you taking a photo if the nest? i would like to see what it looks like.

Aha, I'm not falling for that one Garethbryson - you just want to see me get stung again :biggrinjester:
The nest was zapped, I couldn't leave it there.
But I have a couple of other pictures of two different nests - nest2 is going strong, nest1 is fortunately abandoned!

Last edited:
Nest one are paper wasps and never a problem for bees, I have those all over the place including under hive lids.

What is in nest two? Clearly not paper wasps.

Chris

Lovely paper wasp picture! Their nests are so attractive. I wish all wasps were as easy to live with.

NB. the second picture looks like a new common wasp's nest, the sort that a queen wasp makes to start the nest off before any workers are about. There's a similar one in my shed, also empty (because I swatted the queen...). Normally I leave them, but if they're within easy distance of hives, or right next to the shed door, I draw the line and it's :smash: bye, bye Queenie...

Latest posts

Back