may have a problem

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abbot ale

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Number of Hives
I was on the forum last week concerning bearding. The weather is hot but there must be half the colony on three sides of the hive. Decided to have a look this evening and there were several white undeveloped bees on the floor. They were not dead but laid on their backs and moving their legs. The beard took off today at 3 O clock but they all landed back on the hive after about 30 mins. Any ideas

Have you inspected before you haven’t said? I’ve got some big hives in a full sun/trap none are bearding have you added space checked for swarm preparations. The white bees you described could just be very young bees built in brace comb you’ve disturb/broken when you finally inspected.

yes inspected last week all normal the brood box still has two undrawn frames and the super dosent have many bees at all only one frame that has been drawn

I would say that you have lost a prime swarm and a cast swarm is imminent. If you have swarmy genetics, then room does not matter on a flow.

Check to make sure there is not drawn comb UNDER the OMF!!!!!!

Well Ive just had a look and yes there was some drawn comb under the floor about five blobs and the area was full of bees so Ive now put a conventional floor on shaken the bees back in and Bobs your relation things seem back to normal

Well Ive just had a look and yes there was some drawn comb under the floor about five blobs and the area was full of bees so Ive now put a conventional floor on shaken the bees back in and Bobs your relation things seem back to normal

So pleased.the problem is the gap between the landing board and the ground. It allows the bees to fly under the hive and because they can see all their mates above they think they are in it!!! It is good to block that area off or make your landing board bigger. On cold nights you can lose many bees who congregate there by mistake. Glad to help😄

Was your Q clipped? They will go again tomorrow. Seen any swarm cells?

Latest posts

Back