Marking Queens

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hachi

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
Damn! A lot more than I ever thought I'd have
From Q tips to blades of grass. what do you use to get a nice big mark on your queens?

Quick drying nail varnish. Never rubs off!!!

Ditto . Found though need to test just before marking as can emit too much paint

or if it's brand new no paint!

Before EACH use, shake well and then press the nib straight down onto a (sacrificial) hard surface.
This will release a drop of the paint.
Then you can 'paint' the liquid (no pressure required) onto Q.
And very very very importantly - give it time to dry before releasing Q. If you release her while it is still wet, it will wipe off, or be cleaned off by workers -- leaving you with a very indistinct marking, which defeats the object of the exercise.
Be brave, let the stuff dry properly!

And on eBay you can find economical supplies of all the colours Posca make, so you can choose a nice bright version, and a non-standard colour for practicing on Drones without confusing the issue!
Among the range of Posca pen types, it is the "bullet pointed" PC-3M that is generally favoured for Q marking.

Be brave, let the stuff dry properly!
The same thing applies to the shellac that comes with the numbered opilath plates I use.
I had all sorts of problems with it and really wasn't very satisfied with the results. I persevered though and came to the conclusion that you just have to give it time to dry

Latest posts

Back