Maize & Elderflower

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We have acres and acres of maize here. They never touch it. Likewise, elder is not used. It is such a pity farmers cant grow some cattle food that is beneficial to pollinators. It would make so much difference

We have acres and acres of maize here. They never touch it. Likewise, elder is not used. It is such a pity farmers cant grow some cattle food that is beneficial to pollinators. It would make so much difference
Like sainfoin

Have you any left? A jar maybe?
Sorry, no. It was about 2010. We had an apiray on an organic farm, and it was the only year the farmer ever planted it. It had almost a citrus/minty flavour, with a hint of a sparckle to it. If I found a field of it again, I would put some hives to it, if I was able.

Maybe you could twist @rolande 's arm for a jar? :)
Sadly not a large enough area to get any real benefit, if it was then I think it would require a juji gatame rather than a simple twist to get me to release a jar!!

Last sainfoin we had was probably just over twenty years ago from the Salisbury plains, it infuriates me to think that the need to get cash moving resulted in it being mixed in drums and sold to Mrs S at Exeter bee supplies for £1.29 a lb.... Those were the days!

Salisbury Plains? That’s a mighty long way for your bees to fly to find forage!

Latest posts

Back