Maisemore nucs... angle?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It works OK for me. I'll try attaching it again.

Attachments

• MaisemoreNuc.jpg
    MaisemoreNuc.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 64
The upstand on the inside is vertical or in line with the side.

The outer side of the upstand has an angle to it. That is the angle I want to replicate with a router.

I have just bought a small doodad which copies angles as most of the angle measuring tools are on the too big side for this job.

PH

I suppose if the outer side of the upstand was a flat surface then it would be possible to measure the upstand thickness at the top and bottom and its height and then calculate the angle. However it seems to be a curved surface which obviously complicates matters.

No not curved it's flat. The problem is the surfaces are so shallow for using the normal measuring kit. I am posing the same question on a large wood working group as well.

15mm x 15mm.

see pic.

PH

Attachments

• 1SrY31576413196.jpg
    1SrY31576413196.jpg
    269.8 KB · Views: 49
Measure across the width of the nuc at the top of the rim and then again at the base, also measure the height. Mark it out on some paper and use a protractor to give you the angle.

Edit: You might even get away with using the protractor directly on the shelf of the nuc.

Last edited:
No not curved it's flat. The problem is the surfaces are so shallow for using the normal measuring kit. I am posing the same question on a large wood working group as well.

15mm x 15mm.

see pic.

PH

Wall thickness = 30 mm
Thickness at top of rebate = 14.5 mm
Rebate depth at bottom of rebate = 14.5 mm
Height of rebate = 15 mm

So gradient = 1 in 15

From SOHCAHTOA:

Angle of rebate = Tan^-1 (15/1)
=86.19 deg

Or 93.81 deg if you want the outside angle.

Broods to fit.

Being no mathematician what do you mean by the outside angle?

PH

In the sketch of the rebate cross-section, angle A is the 'inside' and B is the 'outside'. Probably not the correct technical terms.

The rebate wall forms the hypotenuse of a right angle triangle, with sides of 15 mm (vertical) and 1 mm (horizontal). Trigonometry can be used to calculate the angle A (ie Tangent = Opposite / Adjacent). Angle B = 180 - A.

Attachments

• MaisemoreNucRebate.jpg
    MaisemoreNucRebate.jpg
    357.6 KB · Views: 40
As I said maths is a cllod book to me, my head just cannot accept it. I even tried an OU course to see if it had been the teachers at school but it was same same... Arithmetic I am good at. Add letters and I am stuffed, so..

Thanks for your efforts but its the angle of "B" that I need.

P

Many thanks, now to work out how to cut that angle in a length of insulation board.

PH

Latest posts

Back