london

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thanks muswell metro for the link, what i was thinking of is basing a caravan down some where say northfield a/m40 area or potters bar, luton area and then when required to be in london say hammersmith etc, what i was thinking of is another form of transport other than my very big and hard to park easte car, also the cost of parking gets a bit much at time, so other options where train/tube/buss, good but can be unreliable at times and covienance of travel times etc, so whilst i start doing the smoke again i was thinking of train and tube but i still want some thing more convienant if i can, so i was looking at doint the cbt and gettig a small bike, with an old car lience i can drive up to so much brake horse power and thats ok for me say 125cc or slightly bigger. that would do for nipping around london you dont need speed in a 30 zone and most of the journies are going to be less than 15 miles each way maybe 20 max so i dont need a super bike, and before anyone asks its not a mid life crisis, i had one ages ago and instead of a bike i went out and brought a small kite instead much more fun and you dont need to grow a pony tail either

another dumb question just been going through the travel pages and can anyone see why i would buy a travel card if so how much or is an oyster card instead a better deal , does the money on a oyster card run out after so long or is it on there till its used up

another dumb question just been going through the travel pages and can anyone see why i would buy a travel card if so how much or is an oyster card instead a better deal , does the money on a oyster card run out after so long or is it on there till its used up

an oyster PAYG is only valid on tube and buses, a travel card ( on oyster or paper) is valid on Buses, Tube and TRAINS ( TC comes on an oyster normally anyway,so you have to pay £3 extra on the first week)

the card cost £3, which is returnable if you send it back to them, the charge of money wil llast until 2012 (new style card being issued) and any unused can be reclaimed

so an oyster PAYG is cheaper if it only a single return journey....zone 1 to 5 £7.60 return and maxis out at £12.70 if mult journey in a single day, so no difference with PAYG or a daily Travel card

soweekly five days just a tube return use a PAYG oyster its cheeper, at £38 rather than weekly Trav Card at £47.60...the travel card only pays if you use it for mult journies or use it at weekend , which you wont

geoff

Last edited:
t most of the journies are going to be less than 15 miles each way maybe 20 max and you dont need to grow a pony tail either

ok, i used to live in markyate near luton and travelled in for years (550cc Kwaka DH) or 70cc Honda.( and had apony tail...now a number one ) ..the M1, is not bike freindly, four klanes of fast moving traffic, and you are small bike in the slow lane with a ten ton lorry with a lithuanion driver who has just crossed the channel up your Ar***

i did not like using the Honda which is why i now live closer in,

Roads like A1M, A40 and A41 are threelane highways with conjestion at pinch points again not small bike friendly,

M25 well 90% of the time it moves, no worse than M5/M6 junction

i went to Thornes at windsor on Tuesday. morning..40mph all the way A1M Potters Bar ,eight miles through the roadworks( to widen it to 4 lanes) 75 mph the rest to M4 not a problem

so pb to Windsor took one hour five minutes ( TomTom says 55 minutes)

coming back i heard conjestion M25 accident so i chose the A406,from M4 at chiswick...40 minutes to cross the A40 at Hanger lane due to ONE broken down lorry at the traffic lights

so windsor to Bounds Green 2hours ( tomtom says 50 minutes)

weekend, i never use the M25...all the Tourist use it, the back roads are clear

Getting in to london as far as the A406, is normaly quite easy, though there are always "THOSE DAYS" the problem is however car parking...all stations have, control parking zomes, bounds green is one of the few were the walk to non CPZ roads is walkable, and it is zone 3 (cheaper)

whats the parking like in Hammmersmith, i expect it is all CPZ, they are a"green" council and discourage Drivers ( ie they charge you money)

Pete

I commute daily from Weybridge into the city of London by motorbike. After years of suffering overcrowded and late trains and tubes I'd had enough and decided to try my bike, and haven't looked back since.

I wouldn't recommend it for anyone who was neither confident nor competent on a bike, but I actually enjoy my daily ride. Everyday there are heart stopping moments, witnessing scooters attempting manouevres I wouldn't contemplate. But since Boris opened many bus lanes to motorbikes at the beginning of this year things have got a little easier.

For me the bike is quicker, cheaper and much much more fun. You will need a secure place to lock up your bike though.

HTH

Yos

Latest posts

Back