Liquid Smoke

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ma1308

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I have my hive in the shed when I did my first inspection Friday I found the smoker over powering and filling the shed so much I had to move it outside.

My question is as anyone tried this Liquid Smoke and what do you think of it, I have a traditional wooden hive not a Plastic Beehaus.

Never tried it.

Try very very very rotten wood and less bellows action.

PH

Hi Chris, I just did a quick Google I can find cat litter wood pellets wood these be worth a try ?

I wouldn't know about cat litter pellets, we have proper pellets in France made from compressed Mugwort and Lavender. It produces a fairly cool pleasant smoke and once going burns for a long time.

I'm sure you must have these.

Chris

I wouldn't know about cat litter pellets, we have proper pellets in France made from compressed Mugwort and Lavender. It produces a fairly cool pleasant smoke and once going burns for a long time.

I'm sure you must have these.

Chris

Google comes up blank Chris you got a website or other details?

Perhaps it or something similar isn't available there...

it's this.

copyrighter.php

http://www.ets-leygonie.net/apidou-le-sac-de-5kg-xml-215_241-882.html

could be a business opportunity.;)

Chris

Never seen them on the catalogues here Chris.

How do you light them?

PH

I had someone on one of my courses that had liquid bee smoke as part of his omlett kit, unfortunately in his eager enthusiasm to open everything the stuff got spilled all over the carpet, the carpet had to be changed, so if it does that to carpet what is it going to do when misted over combs, my guy bought a conventional smoker and never used the stuff. If you must keep bees in the shed then it needs more ventilation and as poly say less use of the bellows

Last edited:
They are lit with what I suppose one would call lighter pellets, they are called Fum Start for lighting smokers - nothing like fire lighters.

Chris

You have to rub two pellets together until they catch fire.
That's how we light our smokers in France.

I have my hive in the shed when I did my first inspection Friday I found the smoker over powering and filling the shed so much I had to move it outside.

My question is as anyone tried this Liquid Smoke and what do you think of it, I have a traditional wooden hive not a Plastic Beehaus.

I inspect a hive in a beeshed from time to time and the smoke has at times been a problem but not this last inspection on Saturday :hurray:

It was not with the use of liquid smoke although I have suggested its got to be worth a try but on this inspection this time I placed the smoker on the top of the adjacent hive as this beeshed has 4 hives this placed the smoker level with the glass and I pointed the spout so the smoke hit the glass and it simply rose up the glass and then out of the gap at the top with little or no smoke in the shed.

It may be worth fitting a shelf or something to stand the smoker on so the smoke simply rises the glass and out of the gap.

Have you tried a water spray instead of a smoker? I can inspect all bar one if my 14 colonies without resorting to smoke, I just use a spritz it two of water to move them down when reassembling the hive and also when they crowd the rebate making it difficult to replace the frames.
I use a pump up garden spray that cost about £3 from Wilco's.

Thanks for all your tips and suggestions, I will install a shelf near the window and see how it goes.

liquid spray

I use liquid spray-1 to 1 syrup with same quantity of wate +r 1-cap of honey b healthy, haven't used smoker for more than a year-really calms bees, advantage over smoker, doesn't set bees back by three days plus .

Latest posts

Back