Light-coloured bees

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LeeB

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Over the past week, I've noticed an increasing number of my bees seem to be a lighter colour. At first, I thought it was just my imagination, but now there are quite a lot.

I don't think they're robbers, as they're brining in pollen. They're difficult to photograph as they seem to be faster and land straight in the hive. I may be reading to much in to that.

The attached picture is a screenshot from a slo-mo film of a light bee and one of my normal-coloured bees.

This is my first year keeping bees, so am pretty worried. I'll be inspecting inside tomorrow and will try to get more picture and a proper look.

I'd really appreciate any advice. Do I have a problem?

Attachments

• file.jpeg
    file.jpeg
    18.9 KB
Hello Lee,
You're in Neath, lots of Himalayan Balsam around you. The white backs are a pollen stamp, you may have a nice Balsam flow ;)

Thanks for the quick response.

I live along the canal in Neath and, you're right, there is a lot of balsam around (and knotweed)! Thanks for putting my mind at rest. They were acting normal, just looked pale.

You will hear them called ghost bees for the obvious reason! Balsam is a useful nectar producer at this time of the year

I live along the canal in Neath and, you're right, there is a lot of balsam around (and knotweed)! Thanks for putting my mind at rest. They were acting normal, just looked pale.

Knotweed makes lovely red honey

Nice setting along the canal and lots of trees too, your bees should do well for you.

Unfortunately/fortunately, depending on one's perspective, NRW seem to have a programme for treating HB and JK in this region.

Thanks everyone

I feel much happier now, thanks!

The bees are doing really well at the moment, brining in lots of different types of pollen.

NRW isn't doing much here with the knotweed or the balsam, but Network Rail does come around spraying the knotweed occasionally - usually only after a homeowner has complained!

Luckily the canal I live by is owned by the Coombe-Tennant family and maintained by their workers, using tools rather than nasty chemicals.

Latest posts

Back