light brown bees

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stoney147

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi all

Had a read on the forum but couldn't find anything relevant. I have a colony of bees of which there are several that are really light brown in colour, im not just talking about the abdomen and the normal colour veriancies but the head,thorax everything seems a very light brown?????? anything to worry about.

Thanks

Do they look like these?

IMG_9638-CE-Cordovan-queen-SMALL.jpg

The tell-tale is that the worker legs and the little ridge at the back of the thorax are pale brown rather than blackish. It's known as 'Cordovan' and is a recessive trait that results in lighter coloured hard areas of the exoskeleton.

Associated with Ligustica, and in small numbers would be a sign of diversity of mating. In large numbers as a sudden change at this time of year, it could suggest robbing.

Looks like from that picture you only get one bee per hive at that size!!!
:sorry: Couldn't resist it!

True, I don't like posting monster photos but

IMG_9638-CE-Cordovan-queen-SMALL-300x152.jpg

didn't really get the detail across like the big one ;)

Hi all

Had a read on the forum but couldn't find anything relevant. I have a colony of bees of which there are several that are really light brown in colour, im not just talking about the abdomen and the normal colour veriancies but the head,thorax everything seems a very light brown?????? anything to worry about.

Thanks

Nothing to worry about, my sister has these Carniolian crossed Ligurian hybrid bees, with a similar colour variation.
Some drones even have yellow eyes.
Expected variability it seems from an impure hybrid!

I did meet a chap from Skipton a few years back who had very small light brown bees, the queen was a vivid yellow, never seen the likes of them since.
He said all the bees (then ? 1975?) in Skipton and in those parts looked like that.
( Seem to remember that also thrashed us at cricket)

James

Thanks all for your reply's, you've all set my mind at rest again. Mine are similar to those in the monster photo but less colour than those, it's like they they are in sepia... I thought it might of been something to do with chalk brood as there has been a bit in this colony, but I'm still a beginner.

Thanks

Back