Life At Frisby

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've missed the bloggs - even though there wasn't much to say through the winter.
I put syrup on my hives today, had a quick peek inside and saw all 3 queens, there was capped brood but rather worryingly nothing uncapped, although I only looked at 1 frame in each hive and the weather was much colder last week.
The hive with the unlaying queen in the autumn is the strongest and had lots of nectar in.
Also worrying was the fact that I counted and killed 13 mites on one omf on Friday night, non on another and about 5 on another, more this evening...........drat.

The chickens are laying well and finally I have a stag turkey who appears to be doing all the right things to his lady so hopefully she may lay fertile eggs.

I had Amco in the field for 3 weeks in February, relining a drain which went under the railway, they laid a metal road and there was an unbelievable amount of lorries and men in there at 1 point, the mud and mess was a nightmare, their final job was to scatter grass seed in the mud and although the chickens did a fine job of eating it, quite a bit is now germinated and showing through, but I think it'll be a couple of years before the grass is back to how it was.

Did you do any OA treatment over winter ?
Regards the brood did you have empty cells around the capped brood that the queen could be laying in ?

Frisbee -Nice that you are back blogging!

Over what period did you have that mite drop? If those floors in a long time, then less reason to worry. Of course the only good varroa mite is a dead varroa mite.

Latest posts

Back