Lemongrass oil in bait hive.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
20+
I bought some lemongrass oil tonight for my bait hive,do I just slash it all around the whole of the inside of the hive or what's the score with this stuff folks?
Darren.

Just a few drops.

I put few drops on to a bit of foundation then roll it up sort of reduces evaporation

just one or two drops on the top of a frame

I also put a drop on tops of fences, tree branches at 6ft around the area, swarms are more likely to settle on the branch with the lemon grass oil on it, so less likley to be 80ft up a tree

muswell

Have you found that lemongrass oil works?

richard

Yep, last year two bait hive and the LGO bought a swarm done but it left after two days

my GF used the outside of a lemon rubbed over the wood on a frame top and also a handful of true geranium leave on the floor ( not pelargoniums)

but mainly it is luck my cousin near twyford bought some old Smith Supers boxes and a had to take two WBC and Nat supers as well, he did not want to use them as he uses smith short lug frames so stacked them behind his garage, he had three swarms of ferral bees in them over 14days

Latest posts

Back