leave out old brood frames to clear?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

acabee

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
I've a few old brood frames with some light honey/pollen stores. Could I leave them in the open near my hives for bees to rob/empty before melting down?

Or is that a really bad idea?

(I'm fairly sure it is a bad idea due to disease and/or encouraging robbing behaviour, but just wanted to check.)

acabee

You have a feeding hole in your inner cover.
Put the box over cover and anoher cover/board on the box.
Bees pick the honey. To pollen they do nothing.

Put it i the evening that bees do not start rush here and there.

Thanks Finman - useful suggestion. I guess the bees would see it as 'outside the hive' and bring it down.

acabee

I've a few old brood frames with some light honey/pollen stores. Could I leave them in the open near my hives for bees to rob/empty before melting down?

In the first instance as per RAB, (oliver90owner)....

...additionally the question is: How did they become empty? If any doubt of disease then destroy completely, don't even save the wax.

Chris

Old dark frames from a shake out of endlessly queenless hive.
I was going to melt wax and just wondered if there was any point in using the light stores. But think it would be more 'penny wise, pound stupid' to give to the bees if risk of disease etc.

acabee

Guys are right. The old honey does not even have value of sugar.
Two kg sugar and the job you do with those frames?

If we think what bees start to with old frames. They start to clean and repair the cells according their instincts. Then you melt their hard work.

Last edited:
Thanks Finman and others.
Question answered - just melt.

Back