leather glove cleaning

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am using blue marigold type gloves and have no problems with the bees not being fussy on them.

I trained as a Post Mortem Technician in our local hospital. Because of the risk of infection or injury from sharps we wore 2 pairs of latex gloves for safety. One pair tucked under the cuff of our over suits, and one pair running over the top. With my bees I do the same. One pair tucked under the sleeve of my bee suit and one pair running over the top. It gives me the flexibility to throw off the first pair when they are covered in propolis. While giving me the peace of mind that there are no gaps between the end of the glove and my wrist if the bees are tetchy.

I bought the gloves from Screwfix Direct - I can't remember how much but they were not expensive.

I also dust my hands or gloves (dependent on the hive and the temperament of the bees) with a little baby powder. The smell obviously masks any animal odours on my skin and the bees seem less inclined to be hostile. I actually believe the bees like the floral scent. Also the baby powder bonds with any propolis and prevents everything getting sticky as well.

I had a similar problem of my first leather gloves being a bit too big and clumsy. I got a pair last season from Easybee for about £10 they were a much better quality and a great fit so easier to work the bees with. As for cleaning them, with young children in my house it works out well as I use baby wipes which are always in great supply. They do a not bad job of cleaning up the propolis and getting rid of any sticky spots.

Nail varnish remover ! Now they are not sticky .

Tesco Vodka is cheap at approx £3 for a hip-flask size bottle. It's about 30% alcohol and makes a good solvent for propolis and honey.

I prefer it with a drop of lemon flavour washing up liquid in it.

You could put a drop of glycerine in it too if you are using it on leather.

JC.

Last edited:
I use Tesco's own brand 'heavy duty' marrigold-type gloves, which are black on the outside but yellow when turned inside out.

£1.98 a pack.

Thin enough to be able to manipulate frames easily and thick enough for stings not to be able to get through!

Go on, you know you want to try them........ :)

Tesco Vodka is cheap at approx £3 for a hip-flask size bottle. It's about 30% alcohol and makes a good solvent for propolis and honey.

I prefer it with a drop of lemon flavour washing up liquid in it.

You could put a drop of glycerine in it too if you are using it on leather.

JC.

I prefer my vodka either over crushed ice or with tonic, never tried it with lemon washing up liquid :cheers2:

I use Tesco's own brand 'heavy duty' marrigold-type gloves, which are black on the outside but yellow when turned inside out.

£1.98 a pack.

Thin enough to be able to manipulate frames easily and thick enough for stings not to be able to get through!

I been stung though them so i beg to differ

WPC? Bees will get their stings through thicker material that Marigolds.

I know this for a fact.

PH

PH - these are 'heavy duy'...i.e extra thick ones - I visited a beekeeper the other week and got about 20 stings on my hands (don't ask).....not one went through

I don't think it is helpful to our learning as beekeepers to focus so strongly on not getting stung. I now wear thin latex gloves for hygeine reasons, but they give very little protection. What I have learnt through using them is much better handling. Much better handling means fewer dead bees, fewer stinging bees, less spread of disease.

Have courage! It will make us better beekeepers and be better for our bees.

I use leather glove's and have no problem with them.
I use Soda Crystals in Hot water.
When drying I put them on every now and then to stop them from going rock hard.

Latest posts

Back