Laying workers and a new queen

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kjet2

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Some advice please. I have a hive that created a virgin queen following my removal of the original queen as part of swarm control. She's not returned to the hive and I have bought a new queen. Inspected on Sunday and yesterday (Wednesday) and no eggs. As I went through the hive today twice prior to introducing the new queen, 6 frames had eggs and I believe that I witnessed workers laying.
The best advice I received was not to take immediate action. So the new queen is back at home. My instinct is to take all 6 or more frames out, dump all bees in front of the hive, leave the new queen caged for a couple of days and let all workers back onto clean (egg free) frames and then release the queen in a couple of days. That still raises questions as to whether the "dumped" bees will return to the hive as a new queen is present and what is there to stop those laying workers just keep on doing what they did before. I only have the one hive on this site.
Your thoughts and advice would be greatly appreciated as I have limited time.
Thank you in advance

I wouldn't do what you are proposing but I'm unsure you actually know what is going on in that hive
When exactly did you split the hive
How do you know the new queen hasn't come back
did you put a test frame in before assuming the queen had gone?
As I went through the hive today twice prior to introducing the new queen, 6 frames had eggs
how many eggs? is it a fairly regular pattern? it may be you've jumped the gun and you have a newly mated queen in there.
I would do nothing until those eggs have hatched, brood developed and then get capped, only then can you know whether the brood is worker or drone,
that still raises questions as to whether the "dumped" bees will return to the hive
well where else do you think they'd go?

Assuming you have another colony I'd make up a nuc for the new queen, leave the possible laying worker colony until it's clearer what's going on, then shake out or unite as appropriate.

6 frames had eggs
An egg at the base of each cell, or multiple eggs? Photos would help.

one hive on this site.
Does this mean that you have other hives, and are there colonies inside them? I ask for precision because a hive is but a container, and a colony within it is the element we're interested in.

I agree with Sutty: if you have another colony, make up a weak nuc and introduce the bought queen. The status of the problem colony can then be established at leisure, and that can begin with your answers to JBM's first six questions.

I wouldn't do what you are proposing but I'm unsure you actually know what is going on in that hive

how many eggs? is it a fairly regular pattern? it may be you've jumped the gun and you have a newly mated queen in there.
I would do nothing until those eggs have hatched, brood developed and then get capped, only then can you know whether the brood is worker or drone,

Thank you everyone.
I think that the most prudent course of action is as you suggest. I will introduce her to a nuc that I will create from a very strong colony from my home apiary, but locate close to the one that's causing me concern, which will allow me to unite if needs be.
One final question. The nuc? Should I just shake bees into it or add a couple of frames of brood as well as the caged queen?
Thanks

Latest posts

Back