Late August Nuc advice

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rhyolite

New Bee
Reaction score
Number of Hives
Hi Guys,

I will be getting my first nuc (six frame) before the end of the month. I was hoping to get it earlier but it has worked out this way.

Is there any guidance people can give me for increasing the survival chances of the bees over the winter and what best preparations I can do. (frames will be going into an empty brood box).

Thank you

Other more experienced beeks will be along soon, but in the meantime...
A nuc, particularly if it's in a poly nuc box, will overwinter just fine if they have plenty of stores. What you need to be careful of is not putting them into an empty brood box that they aren't ready for. You risk giving them too much space that they can't keep heated over winter.
If they are really overfilling the nuc when you get them you might need to put them into the brood before winter, but you'll probably need to dummy it down. Kingspan (and other makes of insulation), with aluminium tape around the edges works well for this.

Hi Rhyolite.

Put two dummy boards into the brood box, one either side as they won't need all the space for now.

As you don' have any other colonies, ask whoever is providing the nuc if they can manage to give you two frames of stores and put one either side of your six.

Fred.

Make use of celotex/kingspan to dummy the space in the new box to a more manageable size and locate the six frames on one side of the hive. Allow them space for two frames of foundation at first, on the 'open' side of the nest and give them some feed (invert/syrup).
The bees will find it easier concentrating on one side, remove some insulation and add another frame or two if they are drawing well. Combs can be rearranged as necessary.
If you have the opportunity to keep them in the nuc (poly 6 frame?) you could add another box on top, they like that configuration.
Good luck with them

Totally agree with swarm. Better to put them on one side. You give no indication of your location, but here, and I should guess, most of the country, still plenty of time for them to fill a National brood box, especially if you feed little and often to encourage drawing of comb and egg laying

Thank you guys, I am across the water in Ireland so similar climate and winters to UK.

I will use the Dummy boards as they will be straight into the brood box from the supplier, and feed each evening. Should I fill the remaining gap with insulation or just leave it hollow?

It won't make much difference at this time of year. If you used insulation you would have to keep shuffling it about, as with the right conditions, they can draw a couple of frames in a few days

Hi Rhyolite.

Put two dummy boards into the brood box, one either side as they won't need all the space for now.

As you don' have any other colonies, ask whoever is providing the nuc if they can manage to give you two frames of stores and put one either side of your six.

Fred.
Put some polystyrene if you have any in any voids either side of the dummy boards should also help keep them warm.

Hi,
find myself in a similar situation to OP, have a fairly strong colony in a Payne poly nuc. If the brood box is full (ie all frames full with stores and brood) would it be worthwhile putting on a super and feed up for the winter or given we're in the middle of August would people just leave as is ?
thanks

Latest posts

Back