Last inspection

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mocko

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi again

A Friend looking after my bees while i was away, mistakenly could not identify the queen and there was no eggs in a double brood hive. He then made up a nucleus with her in a few weeks back (accidently put her in it without realising) as he saw queen cells.

I inspected the hive yesterday to find it rammed with bees and a strange noise being made by a virgin queen. The weather looks good so hopefully she will mate well...my concerns are...there are still sealed queen cells, will more hatch? Or will she kill these off? Secondly, will there be a swarm now the original queen was removed and accidently put her in a nucleus?

Thanks

A

The first virgin to emerge may kill the others before they emerge but given the weather and time of year I would put my money on the hive issuing a cast or two.

How many queen cells were there left in the hive?

Thanks for your reply.

There were around 8/9 sealed cells...the bees were densely populated around these! Why do casts occur? Does the virgin decide to leave and find a new home before mating?

Thanks

A

Latest posts

Back