Lang poly nuc

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeeJayBee

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Has anybody used an MB poly lang nuc?

I'm thinking about adding one to my Christmas list.

Yes, I have two of them. Very happy with them. As you are in Hampshire, feel free to PM me to come and have a look if you like.

I own one and like DorsetB I am also very pleased with mine as well.
Deep Langstroth version

Three very minor points

• You will need a dummy board or the colony will build wild comb on one or both long walls when using 6 frames
  • I use a sheet of polythene under the roof so I can open them up to see how the colony is doing very quickly without disturbing them.
  • You may need to buy or make your own entrance reducers if used as a double mating nuc or holds a small colony. I made my entrance reducers out of thin correx (* see below)

They are strong, well designed and well worth the money.

* If you want the dimensions of the entrance reducer let me know and I'll measure it for you and send you a drawing.

have loads. bees love them.

defo best with a nice polycarbonate crownboard.

great you can now get feeders.

the 2 entrance reducers are a bit costly - a bit cheaper to buy a full sized one and cut to size.

'Nuff said above about the quality. No gripes at all.

I have several jumbo nucs - all modded to take National frames. I haven't physically looked at all makes on the market, but as good as any and better than most, I would say.

As Mike above, I, too, have used them as two x 3-framers for splits - more than big enough with my extra deep frames.

At least you can sit on the roof of the nuc without fear of it collapsing - I demonstrate mine by standing/jumping on the roof. Robust and fit for purpose.

Last year I over-wintered a colony in one with another body above. It was a poor colony by November but went though OK. I think they are better as singles, though.

Five frames with a feeder frame is good for winter and with the new feeder available they should cover all the options.

RAB

of course you can, just, squeeze 7 new frames in

and in jumbo format plenty big enough for a full colony of less prolific bees.

Yup, love 'em. Good size for overwintering smallish colonies. I have three. Just bought the full-width feeder which also works well (but watch the top bee space).

Before I got the feeder, I drilled a hole in the roof and put on a rapid feeder (plugging the hole with a cork when not in use).

I also used the nuc as a wax steamer by pushing a steam hose through the self-same feeder hole. Worked a treat.

(it's on my blog that I'm not allowed to link to)

Brilliant. Thanks.

I hadn't realised, from the MB description, that the feeder is a separate item. Do they come with the central divider or does that have to be made, or ordered separately?

It'll be easy enough to get an acrylic crownboard - I think they're well worth the investment.

Yes, I have two of them. Very happy with them. As you are in Hampshire, feel free to PM me to come and have a look if you like.
Yes please.

* If you want the dimensions of the entrance reducer let me know and I'll measure it for you and send you a drawing.
Yes please. Could you email rather than PM?

Yup, love 'em. Good size for overwintering smallish colonies. I have three. Just bought the full-width feeder which also works well (but watch the top bee space).
Is there a problem with the bee space? Is it half and half, or 'wholly' top?

I also used the nuc as a wax steamer by pushing a steam hose through the self-same feeder hole. Worked a treat.
(it's on my blog that I'm not allowed to link to)
I'm guessing you began writing a diary when you were a novice beekeeper?

Latest posts

Back