Just some observations on questions asked.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the replies, I think that Poly Hive and Enrico are correct the mesh floors and ways of treating Varoa are the main changes over the last few years, plus the large acreage of Rape everywhere, I see the need for strong early stocks to take advantage of that crop. The old varieties of Rape had a strong smell of cabbage but the newer types are much better and possibly with better tasting honey!
Its strange I was at the Cockington apiary in Torquay the week they found the first Varoa, they were in stocks that had already gone up country for pollination purposes (Horse already bolted?).

Its strange I was at the Cockington apiary in Torquay the week they found the first Varoa, they were in stocks that had already gone up country for pollination purposes (Horse already bolted?).

The considered opinion is that varroa was present for 2-3 seasons before it was discovered, based on mite population levels in early finds.

Back