Just saying hi, beeginner here!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi,

Just joined the forum, brand new to beekeeping. My partner and I have wanted to keep bees for a while, but we didn't have anywhere we could keep them. Then we got an allotment and looked at keeping them there, which you are allowed to do, but there's a lot of hoops to jump through, so we put it on the back burner.

Then, a few weeks later, my other half spots a post from a local business on Twitter, saying that they want someone to come and keep bees there again. OH jumped at the chance, set up a meeting, and that was that.

We had our very first chance to handle bees about a month ago on a one-day course, and we've been doing plenty of reading. We'd sort of given up on getting actual bees this year, as we'd been told it was too late to start with a nuc, but by chance we looked on Gumtree last week, and there was someone selling some full colonies, brilliant!

We've met up with the person selling them, looked at the hives and now everything is suddenly a-go, we're due to move the hives to their new site this weekend!

Expect lots of questions from us over the next few months!

Some full colonies! How many? In at the deep end eh? Feel free to ask and expect loads of different answers from which you chose the best that suits you! Welcome, looking forward to your first HELP post :)
E

:welcome: Started this year myself and loving every minute, a steep learning curve though - best of luck - its very useful if you can find someone to call on if you need some one to look at your bees and offer advice.

Welcome. No question too small. No worry too big to share with us all. Doesn't matter how many books you read or how much you follow forums/internet....there isnt anything to compare with hands on learning.

Some full colonies! How many? In at the deep end eh? Feel free to ask and expect loads of different answers from which you chose the best that suits you! Welcome, looking forward to your first HELP post :)
E

Yep, straight in at the deep end. In fact really deep.

What we're ending up with is two full, healthy colonies and two more problematic colonies - as well as another, very large colony that we'll be babysitting while the owner's going through a desensitization course (if they come out of it and all's good, that colony will be going back - along with some of the equipment).

There's a couple of threads already about the problem colonies - but we'll deal with them as best we can and with support of other kind beekeepers around us. :)

Due to organizational problems over the weekend we're actually doing the move of the hives themselves tonight, or three of them anyway. Wish us luck!

Latest posts

Back