Just 1 Tree

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The problem with lime is it is very unreliable. Bumper crops one year then nothing for a few years. Crab apples are more reliable and have wonderful flowers and fruits for birds in the autumn. The fieldfares move in en mass to gorge on the fruits when soft.

Rowan? They get to a reasonable size without being huge. Flowers for pollinators and birds love the berries.
John and his domineering wife lived nearby. They had a rowan tree on each side of the front entrance. I mentioned to John that rowan is a sure protection against witches.Quick as a flash he yelled "Done nothing for me"

I th
If you could plant just 1 tree that could grow into a substantial size. What would be of most benefit for honey bees? Looking NW England Manchester.
I have a Mimosa ready to plant out and know it flowers early but if the weather is like it was this spring it would have gone past before the bees got to it.
I think it's a.mistake to rely on just one tree. As you've noted with Mimosa, the vagaries of the weather can scupper the best laid plans. I have a huge pussy willow which unfailingly gives vast amounts of pollen quite early. This year and last the bees were able to take full advantage and they had a good head start, but the previous year the flowers were completely washed out with rain, so no bees foraging. My bees are pretty dependent on this tree.
I would hedge my bets and plant one tree for spring, one for summer and maybe one for autumn, if your garden is big enough. And don't be disappointed if the bees ignore them, as mine do all except the pussy willow!

Not a tree exactly but it is similar to a tree and I have never seen anything that attracts bees so much as echium pininana.
It is a massive plant and great at reseeding itself so no problem in reproducing.
https://www.gardenersworld.com/plants/echium-pininana/I have a few plants of this I bought in the winter. I gather they are biennial. They are doing well in pots for now. Any tips on getting the best out of them?

The best position when planting out is an area which is roughly cultivated or at least not overgrown with grass so that its falling Autumn seeds find ground to grow on. Would recommend you get them out of the pots and into the ground now with some anti-slug protection if necessary.

Might be a bit late to move them, they are quite big now. The compost is deliberately gritty with some slow release fertiliser and are in full sun. I will take your tip for next year.

Attachments

• IMG_20210709_101843.jpg
    IMG_20210709_101843.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20210709_101825.jpg
    IMG_20210709_101825.jpg
    5.8 MB · Views: 5
Might be a bit late to move them, they are quite big now. The compost is deliberately gritty with some slow release fertiliser and are in full sun. I will take your tip for next year.
They will grow much better out of the pots and plenty of time to get established. That my 2d worth.

Not a tree exactly but it is similar to a tree and I have never seen anything that attracts bees so much as echium pininana.
It is a massive plant and great at reseeding itself so no problem in reproducing.
https://www.gardenersworld.com/plants/echium-pininana/
Have been growing these for the past 3 years, this summer was their first flowering and although covered in bees it was mainly bumbles with a few honey bees on them

I th

I think it's a.mistake to rely on just one tree. As you've noted with Mimosa, the vagaries of the weather can scupper the best laid plans. I have a huge pussy willow which unfailingly gives vast amounts of pollen quite early. This year and last the bees were able to take full advantage and they had a good head start, but the previous year the flowers were completely washed out with rain, so no bees foraging. My bees are pretty dependent on this tree.
I would hedge my bets and plant one tree for spring, one for summer and maybe one for autumn, if your garden is big enough. And don't be disappointed if the bees ignore them, as mine do all except the pussy willow!
Thanks for that, I have Willow close by. I have space for only 1 large tree and was thinking what would be best. I first came across the Mimosa in late Feb 2019 at Chester Zoo it was alive with honey bees and sounded like an electrical sub station

Thanks for all your replies and advice
Reason for asking is that I have space to plant just 1 tree that can grow into a substantial size. I have in pots ready to plant out Mimosa about 12’ tall, Maple, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Wall nut, Crab Apple, Holly & Hawthorne all about 3’- 5’ tall.
Thanks

Latest posts

Back