Jam Making

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kighill

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Forever more.
I have just been given a pot of Strawberry Jam supplied in a honey jar from another fellow beekeeper; I had given the gent and his wife a couple of pots of borage but was not expecting anything in return. Lovely surprise.

The Strawberries were home-grown and the jam is delicious, as was the chutney his good lady put on my sandwich (home made chutney)

Any way, I thought, 'well I am already half way there; I have the jars and sugar'

So I am off to the car boot on Thursday to buy some fresh strawberries.

The reason for the above introduction is I would like to use/try some jam making recipes.

I am aware lots of recipes exist, however at the moment I am only planning on making Strawberry, so please do not suggest any ideas for Kiwi or other exotics, Strawberry will be a challenge!!!

It would be interesting if any one combines a dash of Honey in the mix.

So what is your favourite method???

not the easiest jam to perfect.
avoid long cooking or the fruit will be mashed down and loose colour.
Also they contain no acid or pectin.

2Kg strawberries, 2Kg sugar, no water, 400ml red current or gooseberry juice (for acid and pectin)
simmer carefully, stir frequently, add the sugar and the fruit juice, boil rapidly to setting.
wait until almost cold before potting to ensure an even distribution of fruit.

Kighill,
I do mine in the microwave, takes about 12 minutes and no mess or special equipment.
It's not everyone that likes the idea - not traditional - but if you want the recipe let me know?
L

The best jam I have made in the last few years has been 'jumblejerry' whereby you basically make up the fruit with whatever you have to hand.

So, if you have strawberries and raspberries, you use them. But if you have strawberries and can get even a handful of goosegogs from someone, you will have a far better jam with a more pleasing taste and texture.

Alternatively, the above with blackcurrants and redcurrants is exquisite and like a taste test each time you have some on your bread.

Anyway, don't have the recipe to hand, but below is similar. It says it lasts for a month, but if you sterilise your jars properly, the jam will last more than a year.

As I said, if you don't have the 'correct' amount of strawbs, substitute it for something else.

Personally, I'd never make strawberry jam as my missus loves them too much (with cream) so I'd only use those going very soft or frozen. Almost anything else makes a more interesting jam, even a marrow for a ginger preserve with a wonderful texture.

Yum yum.

“Jumbleberry” Jam (makes about 2.5kg)

900g elderberries
700g blackberries
450g greengages, pitted
150g raspberries
4 tbsp lemon juice
1700g caster sugar

1. In a large saucepan bring all the ingredients to the boil (being careful not to burn the mixture on the bottom of the pan). Lower the temperature so that the mixture is on a rolling boil.
2. Cook for about 1 hour 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Pour into preserving jars. Close the lids after an hour, once the jam has cooled slightly. Lasts about a month.

Kighill,
I do mine in the microwave, takes about 12 minutes and no mess or special equipment.
It's not everyone that likes the idea - not traditional - but if you want the recipe let me know?
L

Yes please:)

Kighill,
L

I am not a fan of the texture of microwaved jams. I have tried a few and they are never as goos as the equivalent done on the stove. And my missus (who favours the microwave as her parents always used this method) agrees completely.

Still, it does allow you to make small batches of jam very quickly and simply, so I'm not knocking it.

Yes please:)

OK here it is - the recipe is an old one, and therefore based on a lower power microwave oven (700W), so you may have to experiment a bit with the cooking time:

Strawberry Jam.
500g (1lb) strawbs, hulled
1 tablespoon lemon juice
375g (12 oz) preserving or granulated sugar

Place strawbs and lemon juice in a large bowl (at least 2.75/5 pint capacity)
Cover, cook on HIGH for 5 to 6 minutes until soft
Add the sugar, stir gently until dissolved
Cook on HIGH, uncovered, for 12 to 15 minutes until setting point is reached, test frequently after 10 minutes.
Leave to cool slightly then stir and pour into sterilized warmed jars.
Cover, seal and label.
Makes about 750g (One and a half pounds)

If you have a sugar thermometer, heat to 104C/220F to check the temp (for setting). If not, place 1 teaspoon of jam on a cold saucer and leave to cool; setting point is reached when you can push the jam with your finger and it wrinkles.
The jam, not the finger.
Obviously.

I don't always use the lemon juice - still turns out OK.
Works for raspberry, mulberry, blackberry - blackberry seems to need a bit less cooking or you have to cut it out of the jar after...

Latest posts

Back